4 injured in spectacular crash in front of Unified Police Department
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Four people were injured, two of them critically, when a pickup truck and an SUV collided in a spectacular accident Thursday afternoon.
About 3 p.m., a pickup truck traveling east on 3300 South smashed into a sport utility vehicle that was either turning left or making a left turn at 900 West, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
"Truck comes through, strikes the front passenger side of the SUV, causing it to make a 180 (degree) spin," he said. Witnesses told police the pickup had a green light but was traveling at a high speed.
The pickup truck rolled several times after hitting the SUV and crashed into a bus stop on the sidewalk. A bus reportedly had just picked up a passenger and pulled away from the stop when the vehicle crashed into it.
The truck came to rest on the front lawn of the Unified Police Department's headquarters. Two men, both reportedly in their 20s, crawled out of the windows of the truck. Both were taken to a local hospital in very critical condition and were later stablized, though one of the men had serious arm injuries, Keller said.
Unified police officers poured out of the building to help. Nearby firefighters from West Valley City and South Salt Lake also responded.
Two women in the SUV were transported to local hospitals in serious condition and were later in fair condition, Keller said.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12