4 injured in spectacular crash in front of Unified Police Department
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Four people were injured, two of them critically, when a pickup truck and an SUV collided in a spectacular accident Thursday afternoon.
About 3 p.m., a pickup truck traveling east on 3300 South smashed into a sport utility vehicle that was either turning left or making a left turn at 900 West, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
"Truck comes through, strikes the front passenger side of the SUV, causing it to make a 180 (degree) spin," he said. Witnesses told police the pickup had a green light but was traveling at a high speed.
The pickup truck rolled several times after hitting the SUV and crashed into a bus stop on the sidewalk. A bus reportedly had just picked up a passenger and pulled away from the stop when the vehicle crashed into it.
The truck came to rest on the front lawn of the Unified Police Department's headquarters. Two men, both reportedly in their 20s, crawled out of the windows of the truck. Both were taken to a local hospital in very critical condition and were later stablized, though one of the men had serious arm injuries, Keller said.
Unified police officers poured out of the building to help. Nearby firefighters from West Valley City and South Salt Lake also responded.
Two women in the SUV were transported to local hospitals in serious condition and were later in fair condition, Keller said.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11