4 injured in spectacular crash in front of Unified Police Department
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Four people were injured, two of them critically, when a pickup truck and an SUV collided in a spectacular accident Thursday afternoon.
About 3 p.m., a pickup truck traveling east on 3300 South smashed into a sport utility vehicle that was either turning left or making a left turn at 900 West, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
"Truck comes through, strikes the front passenger side of the SUV, causing it to make a 180 (degree) spin," he said. Witnesses told police the pickup had a green light but was traveling at a high speed.
The pickup truck rolled several times after hitting the SUV and crashed into a bus stop on the sidewalk. A bus reportedly had just picked up a passenger and pulled away from the stop when the vehicle crashed into it.
The truck came to rest on the front lawn of the Unified Police Department's headquarters. Two men, both reportedly in their 20s, crawled out of the windows of the truck. Both were taken to a local hospital in very critical condition and were later stablized, though one of the men had serious arm injuries, Keller said.
Unified police officers poured out of the building to help. Nearby firefighters from West Valley City and South Salt Lake also responded.
Two women in the SUV were transported to local hospitals in serious condition and were later in fair condition, Keller said.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 78
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17