NFL draft: Trevor Reilly headed to New York, taken by Jets in seventh round
Gus Ruelas, AP
Trevor Reilly wrapped up his Utah football career with his best season in 2013, and he will have a chance to build on that in New York.
The outside linebacker prospect was selected by the Jets in the seventh round of the NFL draft Saturday afternoon. He was the second former Ute to be selected Saturday, after Keith McGill went to the Raiders in the fourth round.
Reilly created havoc for opposing offenses during his Utah career, finishing with 235 tackles, 20 sacks, eight forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries. Last season, he recorded 100 tackles, 8.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss while earning first-team All-Pac 12 honors.
Reilly, who played both defensive end and outside linebacker for the Utes, proved durable, playing all 37 games for Utah from 2011-13. That included 32 starts.
Listed at the 11th-best outside linebacker prospect by CBSSports.com, Reilly said he wouldn't watch the draft.
"My number one goal is to play and be able to achieve my dream, and it doesn't really matter to me that much where we end up," he said in his latest USA Today draft diary.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 33