NFL draft: Trevor Reilly headed to New York, taken by Jets in seventh round
Gus Ruelas, AP
Trevor Reilly wrapped up his Utah football career with his best season in 2013, and he will have a chance to build on that in New York.
The outside linebacker prospect was selected by the Jets in the seventh round of the NFL draft Saturday afternoon. He was the second former Ute to be selected Saturday, after Keith McGill went to the Raiders in the fourth round.
Reilly created havoc for opposing offenses during his Utah career, finishing with 235 tackles, 20 sacks, eight forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries. Last season, he recorded 100 tackles, 8.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss while earning first-team All-Pac 12 honors.
Reilly, who played both defensive end and outside linebacker for the Utes, proved durable, playing all 37 games for Utah from 2011-13. That included 32 starts.
Listed at the 11th-best outside linebacker prospect by CBSSports.com, Reilly said he wouldn't watch the draft.
"My number one goal is to play and be able to achieve my dream, and it doesn't really matter to me that much where we end up," he said in his latest USA Today draft diary.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 173
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45