But there’s a catch. The new version of Vai’s View will be a little different. It’s evolved. Because I’ve evolved.
It may not appear every week, though that’s my goal. My new work and church assignments demand more time and require less opinion. They have also tamped down some of the fire for sports. Perhaps it’s just maturity.
Yet I’m still passionate, only more about missionary work and reactivation than blown calls and missed tackles. Oh, I’ll still write about BYU football on occasion, but you’re just as likely to find Vai’s View in the Faith section as you are in Sports. My column, as it always has, will reflect where I am in my life.
I have a mission, and I’ll share it with you. You will learn more about the direction I’m being led and the mandate I feel the Lord has given me in this season of my life. I’m duty-bound to fulfill the obligations the Lord has given me and the use of the keys he’s entrusted to me.
One of those obligations was given by Elder M. Russell Ballard seven years ago when he encouraged graduating students at BYU-Hawaii to use new media to tell “our” story as Latter-day Saints.
"There is truth in the old adage that ‘the pen is mightier than the sword,’ " Elder Ballard said. "In many cases, it is with words that you will accomplish the great things that you will now set out to do.”
I’ll share with readers the many miracles God has already created in my life and the lives of members of my stake, along with friends in and out of the church. He is truly “hastening the work of salvation,” a phrase familiar to all Latter-day Saints.
It’s exciting and exhilarating, and like Nephi and so many of you, I’m trying to follow the Spirit “not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.”
Vai Sikahema anchors the morning news for NBC10 in Philadelphia. He is a two-time NFL All-Pro and two-time Emmy winner and is enshrined in the BYU Sports and Philadelphia Broadcast halls of fame. He received the 2012 Deseret News President's Award.
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Family experiences a memorial miracle
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the world's...
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 125
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 75
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty... 23
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 18
- Nebraska lawmakers vote to abolish... 7
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 7
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 6
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4