Comedian Jim Gaffigan believes having children has made him a better man
Brad Barket, Invision, Associated Press
Between his stand-up comedy routines and life in New York City, Jim Gaffigan is busy raising five kids with his wife, Jeannie.
According to a Focus on the Family Facebook post from September 2013 that resurfaced Wednesday, Gaffigan responded to the question "Why so many kids?" with "Well, why not?"
"What exactly am I missing out on? Money? A few more hours of sleep? A more peaceful meal? More hair? These are nothing compared to what I get from these five monsters who rule my life," Gaffigan said.
The Gaffigan family lives in a two-bedroom apartment in New York City, according to National Public Radio.
"We're now on our third set of downstairs neighbors, but when our two preceding neighbors were moving, they asked us to hide the fact that we had children from prospective buyers ... there's been moments where we've had to hide our children in a bedroom, and it feels like a scene from 'Sound of Music,' you know," Gaffigan said in an interview with NPR.
Gaffigan told NPR that babies are like antidepressants, because it's hard to be in a bad mood around a baby.
Being a family man, Gaffigan takes off work on Sundays to spend time with his kids, according to the New York Times.
The Gaffigans attend church at St. Patrick's Old Cathedral before heading to the park to meet up with other families, the New York Times reported.
In an interview with David Letterman, Gaffigan said that having five kids is like waterbed stores — they used to be everywhere, and now they're considered unusual. But Gaffigan loves his large family.
Megan Marsden Christensen is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- 25 restaurants that offer free food on your...
- The Clean Cut: Stuttering comedian wins over...
- The Clean Cut: David Archuleta, Lexi Walker...
- ‘Wife bonus:’ Is paying women...
- Why my husband never sleeps on the couch and...
- Music in the air: Outdoor concerts getting...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- The key ingredient to a more fulfilling life
- Why my husband never sleeps on the... 26
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 13
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- Erin Stewart: Are your possessions... 5
- How different types of mothers have... 4
- Great-grandfather receives honorary... 3
- Motherhood Matters: 6 ways to help your... 3
- ‘Wife bonus:’ Is paying... 3