Tania Navarro, El Observador de Utah
The lineup for this year's concert series, held each Thursday evening through July and August, was announced Wednesday and includes big name tickets like Beck and the Wu-Tang Clan as well as indie rockers Local Natives and The Head and the Heart.
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker described the concert series as a "centerpiece" in the city's efforts to revitalize and energize the downtown area.
"I’m looking forward myself to those warm, sometimes hot, summer evenings when there’s a Twilight Series concert happening," Becker said. "The Twilight Series is one of the highlights for so many of us all summer long and we have an incredible lineup again this year and we’re looking forward to the throngs of thousands, tens of thousands of people coming downtown."
New to the series this year will be the inclusion of local bands, selected in partnership with the City Weekly Music Awards, said Jesse Schaefer, performing-arts program manager for the Salt Lake City Arts Council.
Schaefer, who recently took over the duties of running the Twilight Concert Series, said the council is committed to promoting local artists and the concert series provides an opportunity for Utah bands to gain exposure.
"The local scene is where everything starts, it starts on that micro level," he said. "For me it’s important to support that and find ways that we can incorporate them into the programming."
Concert tickets are available through 24Tix.com and cost $5 for individual performances or $35 for the full eight-show series. More information can be found at twilightconcertseries.com.
Twilight Concert Series
• July 10: Ms. Lauryn Hill with Thundercat
• July 17: TV on the Radio with Twin Shadow
• July 24: Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaries with the Budos Band
• July 31: Wu-Tang Clan with Run the Jewels
• Aug. 7: Local Natives with TBA
• Aug. 14: Beck with Future Islands
• Aug. 21: De La Soul with TBA
• Aug. 28: The Head and The Heart with TBA
Twilight Concert Series 2014
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and Jesse Schaefer of the Salt Lake City Arts Council announce the schedule of performers for the 2014 Twilight Concert Series.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 88
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 32
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 15
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 13