BYU's Bronco Mendenhall talks about life outside playoff spotlight
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall talked to Fox Sport's Bruce Feldman about the upcoming season and the Cougars' position as an independent, and what changes in this new era of college football — including a playoff — mean for the program.
Feldman asked Mendenhall about Notre Dame being exempted into the Big Five scheduling model — it appears BYU will not have the same exemption — and the frustrations of scheduling parameters moving forward.
"I really don't get too worried about the things that I can't control, and I can't control that," Mendenhall said. "I do favor a level playing field, and I always have. The current train, though, seems to be moving away from that. However, as you shift now towards the playoff model, it appears to me that the same number of conference games ought to be played amongst all power-five teams, and that all power-five leagues should have a conference championship game. So if there are five, let's make those five as equal as possible if that is how the selection is going to happen. And for those of us that aren't part of the power five, let's make the standards really clear about what we have to [do to] play for a national championship so we can qualify."
When asked if the system is shifting further away from a program like BYU to make the playoffs, Mendenhall replied, "What I do know is, if we win all of our games or possibly only lose one, with the kind of team we have, it'll be hard not to make an argument for us. So we'll see what happens."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16