BYU's Bronco Mendenhall talks about life outside playoff spotlight
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall talked to Fox Sport's Bruce Feldman about the upcoming season and the Cougars' position as an independent, and what changes in this new era of college football — including a playoff — mean for the program.
Feldman asked Mendenhall about Notre Dame being exempted into the Big Five scheduling model — it appears BYU will not have the same exemption — and the frustrations of scheduling parameters moving forward.
"I really don't get too worried about the things that I can't control, and I can't control that," Mendenhall said. "I do favor a level playing field, and I always have. The current train, though, seems to be moving away from that. However, as you shift now towards the playoff model, it appears to me that the same number of conference games ought to be played amongst all power-five teams, and that all power-five leagues should have a conference championship game. So if there are five, let's make those five as equal as possible if that is how the selection is going to happen. And for those of us that aren't part of the power five, let's make the standards really clear about what we have to [do to] play for a national championship so we can qualify."
When asked if the system is shifting further away from a program like BYU to make the playoffs, Mendenhall replied, "What I do know is, if we win all of our games or possibly only lose one, with the kind of team we have, it'll be hard not to make an argument for us. So we'll see what happens."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20