What others are saying: Kyle Van Noy 'does everything well,' 'ranks among the elite defenders in the entire class'
Rob Rang of CBSSports.com compares Van Noy to the Minesota Vikings' Chad Greenway. The Vikings' outside linebacker is a two-time Pro Bowler and has nine interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries in his seven-year pro career. "Greenway might just be the best all-around outside linebacker in the NFL, and comparing any rookie to him is therefore hyperbole. Van Noy plays with similar instincts and efficiency, however, making plays behind the line of scrimmage as well as dropping back into coverage with impressive consistency."
Rang also ranked Van Noy No. 32 in his mid-April big board, saying he "ranks among the elite defenders in the entire class."
ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper moved Van Noy up to 24th on his big board in April: "Jumped up my board after I spent more time watching him on tape. Just looks like he's playing faster than everyone else."
Van Noy went on a pre-draft visit to the Lions in April and, if drafted by Detroit, would be reunited with BYU defensive teammate Ezekiel Ansah. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press listed Van Noy as the third-best overall linebacker prospect, calling him "a do-it-all type" while Justin Rogers of MLive.com said Van Noy could be given a chance to overtake Ashlee Palmer for a starting job if drafted by the Lions.
Some of the other teams that have shown interest in Van Noy include the Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens. Van Noy visited with the Jaguars in early April, and NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has him headed to Jacksonville in his latest mock draft: "Van Noy's versatility makes him an ideal fit in Gus Bradley's hybrid defense."
Nolan Nawrocki of NFL.com said Van Noy could prove to be more than just a 3-4 linebacker: "Good-sized, athletic, smooth-moving stand-up player who projects best as a 3-4 right outside linebacker, but could also warrant consideration from 4-3 teams as a Will or Sam. Is not without flaws, but has unique ability to play up the field, laterally or in reverse."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20