What others are saying: Kyle Van Noy 'does everything well,' 'ranks among the elite defenders in the entire class'
Rob Rang of CBSSports.com compares Van Noy to the Minesota Vikings' Chad Greenway. The Vikings' outside linebacker is a two-time Pro Bowler and has nine interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries in his seven-year pro career. "Greenway might just be the best all-around outside linebacker in the NFL, and comparing any rookie to him is therefore hyperbole. Van Noy plays with similar instincts and efficiency, however, making plays behind the line of scrimmage as well as dropping back into coverage with impressive consistency."
Rang also ranked Van Noy No. 32 in his mid-April big board, saying he "ranks among the elite defenders in the entire class."
ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper moved Van Noy up to 24th on his big board in April: "Jumped up my board after I spent more time watching him on tape. Just looks like he's playing faster than everyone else."
Van Noy went on a pre-draft visit to the Lions in April and, if drafted by Detroit, would be reunited with BYU defensive teammate Ezekiel Ansah. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press listed Van Noy as the third-best overall linebacker prospect, calling him "a do-it-all type" while Justin Rogers of MLive.com said Van Noy could be given a chance to overtake Ashlee Palmer for a starting job if drafted by the Lions.
Some of the other teams that have shown interest in Van Noy include the Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens. Van Noy visited with the Jaguars in early April, and NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has him headed to Jacksonville in his latest mock draft: "Van Noy's versatility makes him an ideal fit in Gus Bradley's hybrid defense."
Nolan Nawrocki of NFL.com said Van Noy could prove to be more than just a 3-4 linebacker: "Good-sized, athletic, smooth-moving stand-up player who projects best as a 3-4 right outside linebacker, but could also warrant consideration from 4-3 teams as a Will or Sam. Is not without flaws, but has unique ability to play up the field, laterally or in reverse."
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 47
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27