What's new: Violinist Jenny Oaks Baker shares rock music in new 'Classic: The Rock Album'
Violinist Jenny Oaks Baker has shared hymns and other sacred music, Christmas carols, theme songs from movies and a tribute to Disney songs with the dozen or so albums she’s released in the last 14 years.
And her latest album brings a different twist — rock music.
From Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” to “Yesterday” from the Beatles, she shares versions of 10 classic rock songs on her violin, with the help of an orchestra.
She also performs Paul McCartney’s “Liverpool Suite,” R.E.M.’s “Everybody Hurts,” “You Are so Beautiful” (made popular by Joe Cocker) and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” from Guns N’ Roses.
“Classic: The Rock Album” also includes Baker’s renditions of “Scarborough Fair,” which Simon & Garfunkel performed; Sting’s “Fields of Gold”; The Who’s “Pinball Wizard”; and a medley of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” and Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons.”
Her talents and abilities as a violinist shine as she shares a different genre than what is typically expected with violin music. It’s upbeat, and it’s not unlikely that listeners will find themselves humming or singing along.
Baker, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has a master’s degree from Juilliard School in New York City, and her album “Wish Upon a Star” was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Album in 2011. She also regularly performs at Time Out for Women events.
She performed as a first violinist with the National Symphony Orchestra for seven years and resigned so she could devote more time to her family. She and her husband have four children.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- Jerusalem family finds a 2,000-year-old...
- LDS Church leaders release letter about...
- Episcopal Church becomes third Protestant...
- Stephen Rockwood named new FamilySearch...
- 'A beautiful day' in Haiti: Early converts...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 180
- First Presidency sends letter with... 145
- When Satan steals your motherhood 87
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 48
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 34
- LDS Church leaders release letter about... 31