What's new: Violinist Jenny Oaks Baker shares rock music in new 'Classic: The Rock Album'
Violinist Jenny Oaks Baker has shared hymns and other sacred music, Christmas carols, theme songs from movies and a tribute to Disney songs with the dozen or so albums she’s released in the last 14 years.
And her latest album brings a different twist — rock music.
From Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” to “Yesterday” from the Beatles, she shares versions of 10 classic rock songs on her violin, with the help of an orchestra.
She also performs Paul McCartney’s “Liverpool Suite,” R.E.M.’s “Everybody Hurts,” “You Are so Beautiful” (made popular by Joe Cocker) and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” from Guns N’ Roses.
“Classic: The Rock Album” also includes Baker’s renditions of “Scarborough Fair,” which Simon & Garfunkel performed; Sting’s “Fields of Gold”; The Who’s “Pinball Wizard”; and a medley of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” and Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons.”
Her talents and abilities as a violinist shine as she shares a different genre than what is typically expected with violin music. It’s upbeat, and it’s not unlikely that listeners will find themselves humming or singing along.
Baker, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has a master’s degree from Juilliard School in New York City, and her album “Wish Upon a Star” was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Album in 2011. She also regularly performs at Time Out for Women events.
She performed as a first violinist with the National Symphony Orchestra for seven years and resigned so she could devote more time to her family. She and her husband have four children.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 25
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 16
- The IRS agrees to investigate churches... 12
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 12
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 6