Tears, God and mom are highlights of Kevin Durant's NBA MVP acceptance speech
The last person Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant thanked in his 2013-2014 NBA MVP acceptance speech Tuesday certainly wasn't least.
In a 25-minute address bookended by recognitions of God, Durant expressed appreciation for each of his teammates, the coaching staff and the city before paying an emotional tribute to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
Durant detailed the challenges the family faced without a father and with limited finances, highlighting his mother's indelible influence.
"You made us believe. You kept us off the street, put clothes on our backs, food on the table. When you didn't eat, you made sure we ate. You went to sleep hungry. You sacrificed for us. You're the real MVP," Durant said.
The words above don't do the moment justice. Watch the video to see why TIME.com, "Good Morning America" and dozens of other news outlets are talking about how the woman who supports Durant from the sidelines is really the star of the show.
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2