Tears, God and mom are highlights of Kevin Durant's NBA MVP acceptance speech
The last person Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant thanked in his 2013-2014 NBA MVP acceptance speech Tuesday certainly wasn't least.
In a 25-minute address bookended by recognitions of God, Durant expressed appreciation for each of his teammates, the coaching staff and the city before paying an emotional tribute to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
Durant detailed the challenges the family faced without a father and with limited finances, highlighting his mother's indelible influence.
"You made us believe. You kept us off the street, put clothes on our backs, food on the table. When you didn't eat, you made sure we ate. You went to sleep hungry. You sacrificed for us. You're the real MVP," Durant said.
The words above don't do the moment justice. Watch the video to see why TIME.com, "Good Morning America" and dozens of other news outlets are talking about how the woman who supports Durant from the sidelines is really the star of the show.
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- Teach your children to be coachable
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker performs tribute to...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 3
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Your presence is... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2