Tears, God and mom are highlights of Kevin Durant's NBA MVP acceptance speech
The last person Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant thanked in his 2013-2014 NBA MVP acceptance speech Tuesday certainly wasn't least.
In a 25-minute address bookended by recognitions of God, Durant expressed appreciation for each of his teammates, the coaching staff and the city before paying an emotional tribute to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
Durant detailed the challenges the family faced without a father and with limited finances, highlighting his mother's indelible influence.
"You made us believe. You kept us off the street, put clothes on our backs, food on the table. When you didn't eat, you made sure we ate. You went to sleep hungry. You sacrificed for us. You're the real MVP," Durant said.
The words above don't do the moment justice. Watch the video to see why TIME.com, "Good Morning America" and dozens of other news outlets are talking about how the woman who supports Durant from the sidelines is really the star of the show.
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- As Common Core results trickle in, initial...
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark chocolate...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 5
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 3
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3