Tears, God and mom are highlights of Kevin Durant's NBA MVP acceptance speech
The last person Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant thanked in his 2013-2014 NBA MVP acceptance speech Tuesday certainly wasn't least.
In a 25-minute address bookended by recognitions of God, Durant expressed appreciation for each of his teammates, the coaching staff and the city before paying an emotional tribute to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
Durant detailed the challenges the family faced without a father and with limited finances, highlighting his mother's indelible influence.
"You made us believe. You kept us off the street, put clothes on our backs, food on the table. When you didn't eat, you made sure we ate. You went to sleep hungry. You sacrificed for us. You're the real MVP," Durant said.
The words above don't do the moment justice. Watch the video to see why TIME.com, "Good Morning America" and dozens of other news outlets are talking about how the woman who supports Durant from the sidelines is really the star of the show.
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- The Clean Cut: Children identify mom without...
- The Clean Cut: 12-year-old boy writes,...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: When kids get in the...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 17
- Does being married bring you closer to... 7
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- This couple lost their wedding location... 2
- Does an American child really go... 2