The 25 most highly drafted football players from the University of Utah
JULIE JACOBSON, AP
Now that we have reached the eve of the 2014 NFL draft, there is no better time than to revisit the most highly drafted players to ever come out of the University of Utah.
The main reason for the perfect timing is to show how much talent that has come out of the U in recent years. It also shows how much of a guessing game the draft really is for most organizations. All you have to do is look at the two most glaring omissions from this list to see why that is the case.
While plenty of the players on this list have had very good careers in the NFL, the two players with the best showings out of Utah (Steve Smith and Larry Wilson) weren’t drafted high enough to fall into this category. They aren’t the Utes who had impressive NFL careers after slipping to the later rounds of the draft either. Players like Scott Mitchell (93rd overall), Mike Anderson (189th overall), Jamal Anderson (201st overall) and Bob Trumpy (301st overall) all had productive careers even though they weren’t highly drafted.
It is important to note the order of how each player is listed is based on the spot they were drafted and not the round. The older drafts had fewer teams so there weren’t as many picks each round.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 109
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 33
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20