Utah Jazz to host six players Wednesday in first pre-draft workout
Elaine Thompson, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz will begin their annual pre-draft workouts Wednesday with six players who aren't exactly household names or penciled in as high picks.
The group includes guards Taylor Braun (North Dakota State), Bryce Cotton (Providence) and Stephen Holt (St. Mary's) along with forwards Akil Mitchell (Virginia), Mike Moser (Oregon) and Ronald Roberts Jr. (St. Joseph's).
Perhaps the most newsworthy part of this first workout is the fact it will be led by player development coaches Alex Jensen and Johnnie Bryant, who have been retained on the staff by Jazz management in the wake of the decision to not renew the contracts of Tyrone Corbin's coaching crew.
None of the players are projected to be first-round picks and are considered long shots in the second round.
Only two players from this group are on ESPN analyst Chad Ford's Top 100 player board. Cotton, a 6-1, 165-pound point guard, is ranked highest at 62, while Moser (6-8, 195) is listed at No. 65.
The Jazz held a bevy of similar workouts last year and a free agent mini-camp while trying to compile as much information on as many players as possible.
The NBA Draft will take place on June 26. The Jazz will find out on May 20 at the NBA Draft Lottery where they will pick. Utah is in the fourth position after beating Boston in a fourth-place tiebreaker.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20