Utah Jazz to host six players Wednesday in first pre-draft workout
Elaine Thompson, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz will begin their annual pre-draft workouts Wednesday with six players who aren't exactly household names or penciled in as high picks.
The group includes guards Taylor Braun (North Dakota State), Bryce Cotton (Providence) and Stephen Holt (St. Mary's) along with forwards Akil Mitchell (Virginia), Mike Moser (Oregon) and Ronald Roberts Jr. (St. Joseph's).
Perhaps the most newsworthy part of this first workout is the fact it will be led by player development coaches Alex Jensen and Johnnie Bryant, who have been retained on the staff by Jazz management in the wake of the decision to not renew the contracts of Tyrone Corbin's coaching crew.
None of the players are projected to be first-round picks and are considered long shots in the second round.
Only two players from this group are on ESPN analyst Chad Ford's Top 100 player board. Cotton, a 6-1, 165-pound point guard, is ranked highest at 62, while Moser (6-8, 195) is listed at No. 65.
The Jazz held a bevy of similar workouts last year and a free agent mini-camp while trying to compile as much information on as many players as possible.
The NBA Draft will take place on June 26. The Jazz will find out on May 20 at the NBA Draft Lottery where they will pick. Utah is in the fourth position after beating Boston in a fourth-place tiebreaker.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25