Some of my favorite recipes are ones that I’ve created from others that I love.
My Peach Cornbread Coffee Cake is a great example of that. I love the sweet and hearty texture of cornbread, and I also love fruity cobblers. This recipe is so easy and yet so delicious. The peach pie filling is swirled in with the crunchy texture of the cornbread, combining into a moist, sweet and incredibly tasty dish.
My mother is from Georgia and loves her peaches, and what is more Southern than cornbread?
This coffee cake is a combination of both. This recipe tastes like you’ve been measuring and baking for hours, but in reality, it takes opening a box and opening a can, some mixing and then into the oven it goes. Frankly my dear, I want seconds.
Belle’s Peach Cornbread Coffee Cake
1 package Honey Cornbread Mix (the kind that only needs water)
1¼ cups water
1 can peach pie filling
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Mix together the cornbread mix and water. Reserve 1 cup of the batter and pour the rest into a lightly greased 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan. Spoon the peach pie filling over batter. Spoon the remaining 1 cup of cornbread batter evenly over the peach pie filling. Use a butter knife and swirl the batter to create a marbled effect.
In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Your triplets just got even more special
- The Clean Cut: Christian musician releases...
- Wal-Mart brings back greeters at the store door
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain lost weight
- Online harassment is most often targeted at...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 12
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain... 7
- Crowdfund a divorce? Sites let you... 3
- Unwanted pets find new homes in... 3
- Lousy parenting can be passed from one... 3
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- Two Utah men competing in St. George... 2
- The Clean Cut: Real Salt Lake goalie... 2