Some of my favorite recipes are ones that I’ve created from others that I love.
My Peach Cornbread Coffee Cake is a great example of that. I love the sweet and hearty texture of cornbread, and I also love fruity cobblers. This recipe is so easy and yet so delicious. The peach pie filling is swirled in with the crunchy texture of the cornbread, combining into a moist, sweet and incredibly tasty dish.
My mother is from Georgia and loves her peaches, and what is more Southern than cornbread?
This coffee cake is a combination of both. This recipe tastes like you’ve been measuring and baking for hours, but in reality, it takes opening a box and opening a can, some mixing and then into the oven it goes. Frankly my dear, I want seconds.
Belle’s Peach Cornbread Coffee Cake
1 package Honey Cornbread Mix (the kind that only needs water)
1¼ cups water
1 can peach pie filling
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Mix together the cornbread mix and water. Reserve 1 cup of the batter and pour the rest into a lightly greased 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan. Spoon the peach pie filling over batter. Spoon the remaining 1 cup of cornbread batter evenly over the peach pie filling. Use a butter knife and swirl the batter to create a marbled effect.
In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Motherhood Matters: Love loans
- UTubers: Coldplay cover by One Voice...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 3-year-old sings her dad a...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 17
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what... 3
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- Wright Words: What I learned from... 2
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings... 1