Book review: 'Out of Order' is a peek into the Supreme Court
"OUT OF ORDER: Stories from the History of the Supreme Court," by Sandra Day O'Connor, Random House, $16, 256 pages (nf)
“Out of Order: Stories from the History of the Supreme Court,” penned by the first woman Supreme Court justice, Sandra Day O’Connor, provides a rare glimpse into the humble beginnings and evolution of the United States judicial branch.
The reader gets a view into the courtroom from the viewpoint of the justices, past and present. Customs, traditions, even laughs shared on the bench (and in the lunchroom) by justices can leave the reader wanting more.
O’Connor’s wit, wisdom and sense of humor are showcased throughout the text. The history of the court, including past justices, is presented.
A few of the quotes have some occasional salty language.
It's been recently released in paperback, and the hardback was on the New York Times' best-seller list for hardcover nonfiction.
O’Connor attended Stanford University and began her public service in Phoenix. She was nominated by President Ronald Regan as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, where she served from 1981 to 2006. She was the first woman appointed to this position. She and her late husband, John Jay O’Connor (1930-2009), have three children.
Micah Klug graduated with her bachelor’s degree in health care administration from Brigham Young University-Idaho. She currently resides in Rexburg, Idaho.
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 21
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 1