Mother's Day is a day to spoil your wife or mom with a special treat. Here are both sweet and savory options just in case Mom has a specific craving (or wants both).
I love all of these recipes because they are easy to make your own. Don't worry about following everything exactly — just use these ideas as a guideline to make something Mom will love.
This dip is super simple and incredibly yummy.
1 8-ounce container of Cool Whip
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup of brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
Mix all of the ingredients together. If Mom likes it sweeter, add more brown sugar. Serve this simple dip with apples, strawberries or pears.
Don't be afraid to make these your own. If there is a specific ingredient you know Mom will love, throw it in.
10 flour tortillas
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
½ small avocado, diced
1/3 cup salsa (any variety)
a handful of cilantro
½ white onion, diced
1/3 cup cooked shredded chicken or cooked ground beef (optional) or 1/3 canned chicken that is pre-cooked.
Mix all of the ingredients in a blender until you have a paste-like mixture. Spread the mixture evenly across 10 flour tortillas. Roll up the tortillas and place them on a cookie sheet. The paste-like mixture will hold the rolled tortillas in place. Bake at 375 F for 10-12 minutes.
Modified Box Cake
My aunt taught me this trick for how to make amazingly delicious cake from a box mix — with a few exceptions. Use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil; add a pudding mix (powder) into the cake mix; and use buttermilk instead of water. It's that easy. My favorite was Butter Pecan Cake with a cheesecake flavored pudding mix.
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new respect...
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these two...
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Why you should think twice before punishing...
- Steve Eaton: Giant rubber-band war leads to...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- 'Dragon Age' tops AP critics' best... 2
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2