TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College during its spring commencement exercises will honor two Utah law enforcers who were killed in the line of duty.
The graduation ceremony will be at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Maverik Center in West Valley City.
Slain Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Cory Blake Wride, the late Draper Police Sgt. Derek Johnson, and Dan Farr have been named SLCC’s Distinguished Alumni.
Wride was shot and killed in the line of duty Jan. 30, as was Johnson on Sept. 1. Farr drew more than 75,000 people in September to what he describes as the largest first-year comic con event in the history of North America.
SLCC will present Jesselie Barlow Anderson and Ronald W. Jibson with honorary doctorate degrees. Anderson served from 2005-13 on the SLCC board of trustees and established SLCC’s Washington, D.C., internship program. Jibson, through his employer Questar and personally, has contributed toward an existing SLCC scholarship program and was pivotal in helping the college establish an energy grant that has benefited students.
SLCC also will welcome back Sekou Andrews as commencement speaker after giving the school’s convocation keynote last fall. Andrews is a two-time winner of the National Poetry Slam.
Melissa Helquist has been named the 2014 SLCC Distinguished Faculty Lecturer. Helquist joined SLCC in 2002 and is currently an associate professor in the English department, where she teaches composition, technical writing and disability studies courses.
The 2014 SLCC Teaching Excellence Award recipients are Bill Tovar, Melissa Tillack and Emily Dibble.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 76
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15