Hugh Carey, Deseret News
As expected, it was a banner week for track & field last week between the BYU Invitational and the Herriman Twilight Meet. A combined four state records fell between the two meets, with countless other top performances in the state recorded.
At the BYU Invite, the three state records to fall were all over a decade old.
On Friday, Jordan’s Austin Kafentzis shattered the old javelin state record of 201’01.00 with a throw of 217’09.50.
The following day, Woods Cross’ Cam Dopp broke a 14-year old state record in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 36.30. West Jordan’s Jake Garlick — now Herriman’s coach — owned the previous record of 36.93 set back in 2000.
Just a few races earlier, Davis’ Trevor Leavitt ran the 400 meters in 47.00, narrowly breaking the 47.01 state record by Clearfield’s Tyler Crow that had stood since 2000.
At the Herriman meet on Friday, Kaysha Love shattered the record in the 100 meters with a scintillating time of 11.68, a full .20 faster the previous record.
Individuals are only listed once if they have multiple top-10 results in the same event and wind times are not included.
The week athletes will focus on winning region championships, before turning their attention to the state meet in two weeks.
Note for coaches, if one of your athletes has a top-10 performance that isn’t listed, please contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boys top performances
10.64 — Chad Artist, Logan, Jr. (4/26 at Davis)
10.68 — Jonah Trinnaman, American Fork, Sr. (5/3 at BYU)
10.84 — Dallon Didericksen, Stansbury, Sr. (5/3 at BYU)
10.86 — Garrett Stroh, Hillcrest, Sr. (4/26 at Davis)
10.87 — Jake Johnson, Springville (5/3 at BYU)
10.87 — Zac Morris, Lehi (5/3 at BYU)
10.90 — Derek Sorensen, Richfield, Sr. (5/3 at BYU)
10.94 — Kavika Fonua, Syracuse, Sr. (4/12 at Logan)
10.95 — Mack Richards, Alta, Jr. (5/3 at BYU)
10.95 — Riley Burt, Box Elder, Jr. (5/2 at BYU)
Note: State record is 10.47 set by Murray’s Brian Hazelgren in 1981
21.47 — Zac Morris, Lehi, Sr. (5/3 at BYU)
21.50 — Trevor Leavitt, Davis, Sr. (5/2 at BYU)
21.74 — Garrett Stroh, Hillcrest, Sr. (4/12 at Copper Hills)
21.78 — Chad Artist, Logan, Jr. (4/26 at Davis)
21.90 — Derek Sorensen, Richfield, Sr. (5/2 at BYU)
21.93 — Michael Bluth, Riverton, Sr. (3/29 at UVU)
22.00 — Nick Ashby, Orem, Jr. (5/2 at BYU)
22.03 — Riley Burt, Box Elder, Jr. (5/3 at BYU)
22.04 — Jonah Trinnaman, American Fork, Sr. (4/4 at Timpanogos)
22.04 — Xequille Harry, Woods Cross, Sr. (5/2 at BYU)
Note: State record is 21.41 set by Woods Cross’s Jacopo Spano in 2013
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0