St. George Tourism Office
ST. GEORGE — More than 2,200 athletes hit the course at the 2014 Ironman 70.3 St. George on Saturday, and the weather cooperated, resulting in the fastest male and female finishers ever at the event.
The men's pro title came down to a battle between Olympic gold medalist Jan Frodeno of Germany and last year's winner, Brett McMahon of Canada.
Frodeno ultimately pulled ahead with less than a mile remaining and won in a course-record time of 3:45:21, more than five minutes faster than McMahon's time from 2013. McMahon finished with a time of 3:45:43, while Tim Don of Great Britain came in seconds later at 3:45:50.
“I’ll be honest, that was probably the toughest thing I’ve ever done,” Frodeno said in a news release.
On the women's side, American Meredith Kessler earned her third overall victory at the St. George event, finishing with a time of 4:11:53, nearly six minutes faster than last year's winner.
Behind Kessler were Jodie Swallow of Great Britain (4:12:29) and Heather Wurtele of Canada (4:14:31).
B.J. Christenson of North Salt Lake was the first athlete from the state of Utah to finish, with a time of 4:20:55, while Cottonwood Heights' Katy Carigiulo was the first Utah female to finish, in a time of 4:47:34. A total of 1,024 athletes from Utah registered for the race.
Former NFL wide receiver Kevin Curtis, who played football collegiately at Utah State, crossed the finish line in 5:59:02.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37