UVU baseball: Moysh homers twice but Wolverines fall at NM State
Sean Moysh hit a pair of home runs for Utah Valley University, but New Mexico State used two big innings en route to an 11-3 win Saturday at Presley Askew Field. The Western Athletic Conference series is now even at one win apiece with Sunday’s rubber match slated for 1:05 p.m. MT.
Moysh is the first UVU player to homer twice in a single game since Goose Kallunki did it during the 2012 season against Texas-Pan American. Moysh’s first, to left, came with two outs and nobody on in the first. His second, to right, came with Seth Rhineer aboard in the fourth.
Other than Moysh’s night at the plate, there were few bright spots for the Wolverines (20-24, 12-8). One of those was Matt Davidson, who pitched 3.2 scoreless innings in relief, striking out five on just one hit and with no walks. Davidson more than doubled his innings pitched for the year in the appearance.
“It’s tough to have Sean do what he did and not have it come in a win, and Matt did a great job just coming in a throwing strikes,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “But overall it was disappointing that we just did not come to play tonight. Give credit to New Mexico State, they came ready and took it to us.”
The Aggies (18-24, 9-8) scored six times on six hits in the second inning. Kent Blackstone drove in two runs in the inning while Derek Umphres, who had four RBIs in the game, hit a two-run triple.
Moysh’s second home run cut it to 6-3 in the fourth, but NM State pulled away with one in the bottom of the inning and four more in the fifth.
Billy Conard (3-3) went 7.1 innings, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out seven to get the win. Ryan Evans (4-4) took the loss for Utah Valley.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating 'love...
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0