Couple's baby announcement using Taylor Swift song attracts national attention
"Then everyone picked it up," Nate said. "We couldn't believe how big it got. It's just crazy."
ABC's "Good Morning America" mocked the singing but thought baby Emerson was adorable and featured the music video on the show. The sharing continued, with thousands of views on sites like The Huffington Post, UKDailyMail and almost 100,000 views on GodVine alone.
He likes the fun stuff but covers the hard stuff
As a reporter, Nate Eaton is used to being on television every day. He covers the hard stuff — the tragedies, fires, car accidents and the D.C. sniper execution. He covers the big political stories; he was tapped to ask President Obama a question during the 2012 campaign and was assigned to interview Ann Romney during the election. Still, he was rarely recognized.
That's changed. It's been a week, but everywhere he goes, people know he's the guy having, having, having another baby.
"Just the other day, I was at a red light and a woman kept honking at me until I rolled down my window. She yelled congratulations and said how happy she was for us," Nate said.
While covering a NASCAR race in Richmond, he was recognized several times by people who congratulated him and Erica on their latest edition.
With some mortification, Nate and Erica acknowledge the singing criticism.
"If we knew it was going to be on "Today," there's no way I would have kept singing!" Nate said.
"We know the singing is bad. We get it." Erica adds. "We did it for fun. We didn't think everyone in the country would watch."
"Maybe it went viral because the singing is so bad," Nate said.
"The Ellen Show" producers have expressed interest in featuring the video on their Mother's Day show, and "Good Morning America" wants to continue following the pregnancy with a possible baby gender reveal in the future.
But viral birth announcement or not, "we're just so excited," Erica said. "We can't wait."
"For the record," Nate added, despite what he sang, "I always wanted more than one."
A writer from New Hampshire, Amy Makechnie grew up with Nate Eaton following her around asking for an interview. This time, she was happy to ask the questions. You can find her on Twitter @Amymakechnie and blogging at www.maisymak.com.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 74
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 7
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2