Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — Kaysha Love, the sophomore sprinter at Herriman High School, destroyed the all-classes state record for the 100-meter dash at the Herriman Twilight Invitational Friday night.
Love’s time of 11.68 seconds surpassed the record of 11.85 set by Brighton’s Aubrey Hale at the BYU Invitational in 2010. The wind reading for Love's performance was a barely "legal" 1.98 meters per second (times with a wind reading that exceeds 2.0 are disallowed for record considerations).
"It felt pretty fast," said Love, who sat out the 200 Friday because of shin splints. "My coach tapered us down for this week just to rest our legs, and I was excited to see what I could do. All my hard work is paying off."
According to the most recent Flotrack.com high school rankings, Love’s performance ranks as the 17th fastest wind-legal time in the nation. Last month she won the Arcadia (California) Invitational 100- and 200-meter dashes, going up against many of the top sprinters in the nation.
Love has qualified for the junior national track and field championships this summer in Eugene, Ore., and according to her mother, Stephanie, she is on the watch list for the Dream 100, a race held in New York each summer for the top nine fastest girls in the nation.
"I would love to hit an 11.50," she says. "That's my goal this year."
Love, who was profiled in the Deseret News Thursday, didn't begin running track until 13 months ago. Before that, she was a Level 10 gymnast who practiced 4½ hours a day, six days a week.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35