Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — Kaysha Love, the sophomore sprinter at Herriman High School, destroyed the all-classes state record for the 100-meter dash at the Herriman Twilight Invitational Friday night.
Love’s time of 11.68 seconds surpassed the record of 11.85 set by Brighton’s Aubrey Hale at the BYU Invitational in 2010. The wind reading for Love's performance was a barely "legal" 1.98 meters per second (times with a wind reading that exceeds 2.0 are disallowed for record considerations).
"It felt pretty fast," said Love, who sat out the 200 Friday because of shin splints. "My coach tapered us down for this week just to rest our legs, and I was excited to see what I could do. All my hard work is paying off."
According to the most recent Flotrack.com high school rankings, Love’s performance ranks as the 17th fastest wind-legal time in the nation. Last month she won the Arcadia (California) Invitational 100- and 200-meter dashes, going up against many of the top sprinters in the nation.
Love has qualified for the junior national track and field championships this summer in Eugene, Ore., and according to her mother, Stephanie, she is on the watch list for the Dream 100, a race held in New York each summer for the top nine fastest girls in the nation.
"I would love to hit an 11.50," she says. "That's my goal this year."
Love, who was profiled in the Deseret News Thursday, didn't begin running track until 13 months ago. Before that, she was a Level 10 gymnast who practiced 4½ hours a day, six days a week.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20