Salt Lake City completes initial steps in Google Fiber process
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City announced Friday that the city has completed the first stage in a process that may lead to high-speed Google Fiber service for its residents.
In February, Salt Lake City made the short list of 33 cities nationwide working with Google to explore the possibility of bringing the ultra high-speed Google Fiber broadband network to local residents. To be considered, Salt Lake City was asked to provide a response to the Google Fiber City Checklist by May 1. The city submitted all required items and will continue with Google through its due diligence process.
"Salt Lake City has been great to work with. They became fiber experts quickly, and they were incredibly organized as they worked on their checklist," said Jenna Wandre, spokeswoman for Google Fiber. "They also proactively lead on steps beyond the checklist (and have) told us that they're already working to make their permitting process better and faster so that it can handle large infrastructure projects like Fiber."
If approved, Salt Lake City would join Provo as the second Utah city to get the high-speed network. In April 2013, Provo announced that it would become the third city in the nation to have Google Fiber, along with Kansas City, Missouri, and Austin, Texas.
Google plans to announce which cities will be selected for Google Fiber by the end of the year.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15