Julianne Donaldson’s “Blackmoore” received the 2013 Whitney Award for Best Novel of the Year during Saturday’s gala.
The Regency-era love story published under Deseret Book's “A Proper Romance” label was also named Best Romance Novel, an award Donaldson took home last year for “Edenbrooke.”
Forty books from 34 Mormon authors were named finalists across the three youth and five adult categories for the annual awards that recognize authors who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Best Youth Novel award went to Brandon Sanderson’s “Steelheart,” and he also received the Best Young Adult Speculative Novel award.
Kasie West took home the award for Best Novel by a New Author with her young adult novel “Pivot Point.”
In the other youth categories, Julie Berry received Best Young Adult General Novel for “All the Truth That’s in Me.” For the second year in a row, Jennifer A. Nielsen took home Best Middle Grade Novel — this year for “The Runaway King,” the second book in the Ascendance Trilogy. Last year she won with the first book in the series, “The False Prince.”
Rachel Ann Nunes was the Outstanding Achievement Winner for 2013 and Blaine M. Yorgason received the Lifetime Achievement award.
Nunes has penned more than three dozen novels across several genres, including romance, women’s fiction, romantic suspense and paranormal, and among her books are the Ariana series and the Autumn Rain novels and a couple of picture books, according to her website at ranunes.com.
Yorgason has also published dozens of books, including novels, historical and biographical, and a couple of his books have been made into movies, according to the Mormon Literature and Creative Arts database.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay...
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL Team...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 29
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 13
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9