Provo resident performs at Radio Disney Music Awards in Los Angeles for thousands
Provo resident Aaliyah Rose performed this past Sunday, April 27, at the Radio Disney Music Awards in Los Angeles.
The 11-year-old singer caught the attention of Radio Disney, and the company met up with her at a BYU baseball where she was singing the national anthem to surprise her with the news she would be performing at the awards show.
Although Aaliyah performed as a soloist in Alex Boye's "Happy" music video, which has over 400,000 views, Aaliyah told KSL that this performance — at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live, which seats 7,100 — was bigger than anything she'd done before.
“The most I ever sang for is probably 200 at the Covey Center,” Aaliyah told KSL.
Aaliyah sang "Let it Go" at the awards show, a song she is familiar with because of her music video mash-up of "Let it Go" and Passenger's "Let Her Go," which was filmed at the Provo City Library.
The young singer was styled by KoKo Blush, a local clothing and style boutique, for her big performance. While on the red carpet, visiting fans and performing, Aaliyah wore clothes that were both fashionable and modest.
"Modesty in Aaliyah’s outfit was completely intentional," Chris McCready, co-founder of KoKo Blush told Deseret News in an email. " ... We believe self-confidence comes from feeling good about who you are and then how you look. ... While it is often challenging with hemlines these days, we love showing the world classy is always in fashion!"
The company successfully created styles that gave Aaliyah confidence while maintaining modesty.
"I felt like a princess last night. Thank you so much Koko and Mandy from @kokoblushandco for styling me and doing my hair and makeup. You made me feel so pretty! You rock," Aaliyah posted on Instagram.
Alison Moore is a writer for the Faith and Family sections at DeseretNews.com. She is studying journalism and editing at Brigham Young University.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @alison_kathleen
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- The Clean Cut: Sam Gordon, 11-year-old girl...
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's 'Cinderella'...
- 8 items to add to your marital bucket list
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 87
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 20
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and... 9
- Pope reinforces traditional family values 5
- Make way for a new family act in Vegas:... 5
- Katherine Heigl talks primetime... 4
- Executed American's heartbreaking... 4
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 4