SALT LAKE CITY — Those who enjoyed "Body Worlds" should like the two newest exhibits coming to The Leonardo life and science museum this spring and fall.
The creator of "Body Worlds," German scientist Dr. Gunther von Hagens, and his colleague, Dr. Angelina Whalley, have put together an eye-opening, unique display of animals.
The exhibit defines and explores the similarities between mankind and animals.
Visitors can examine the intricate biology, zoology and physiology of the world's most incredible creatures, peeking under the skin, fur and feathers at the bone structure, muscles, nerves and organs that give each animal its traits, characteristics and abilities.
It's an anatomical safari of more than 100 animals, large and little, exotic and everyday.
Each specimen — from goats to giraffes, octopuses to ostriches — is painstakingly preserved through the Plastination process invented by von Hagens.
Plastination essentially replaces body fluids with a kind of plastic and preserves the organs, tissues and bones.
Sponsors of the "Body Worlds" exhibitions believe that the more people understand about their own body and how it can break down, the more likely they are to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Looking at the body's inner workings in a tangible form far surpasses reading about it in a textbook, organizers say.
Included in the exhibit are human bodies, donated to von Hagens' research programs, which currently include more than 14,000 donors.
The exhibition is expected to be very popular and draw large crowds, particularly on weekends and holidays. Tickets are for a specific time in which to enter the line. Visitors will need to allow for wait times because the number of people allowed inside the exhibit is limited so as to provide an unrushed experience.
If you go ...
What: "Animal Inside Out," followed by "The Cycle of Life"
When: May 10 through fall 2014
Where: The Leonardo, 209 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City
Cost: $19 adults, $16.50 seniors, students, military and youth, $15 children 6-11 (joint tickets available)
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 6
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1