Utah State Aggies to graduate 88 former student-athletes, including Anthony Calvillo and Kevin Robinson
Paul Chiasson, Associated Press
LOGAN, Utah — Utah State University will graduate 88 student-athletes Saturday, including 38 football players.
While USU was part of the Western Athletic Conference, the Aggies enjoyed an 83 percent athlete graduation success rate and a cumulative 3.17 grade-point average. During 2013-14 as part of the Mountain West, USU had 61 student-athletes earn academic all-conference accolades.
Among those who plan to walk at commencement is former CFL star Anthony Calvillo, who made a name for himself in Logan leading the Aggies to a 58-56 shootout victory over BYU in 1993 and USU’s first-ever bowl victory at the Las Vegas Bowl later that year.
Other football graduates include former head coach Gary Andersen’s son Keegan Andersen, center Tyler Larsen, receiver Travis Van Leeuwen, linebacker Zach Vigil, and linemen Kevin and Kyle Whimpey, who all earned degrees in interdisciplinary studies, and lineman Jamie Markosian, who completed a civil engineering degree.
Western Athletic Conference standout Kevin Robinson, who set an NCAA record for total kick return yardage in 2007 for the Aggies, also earned an interdisciplinary studies degree to join the class of 2014.
Other notable Aggie athletic graduations include basketball forward Ben Clifford, who has another year of eligibility left. Because of NCAA rules regarding graduation and transferring, Clifford would not be forced to sit out a year if he elected to join the basketball team’s mass exodus and transfer to another school.
Utah State University’s 127th undergraduate commencement ceremony will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
Tavin Stucki is a senior journalism student at Utah State University and editor-in-chief of The Utah Statesman, the Aggie campus newspaper. Twitter: @DesNewsAggies @StuckiAggies
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37