Book review: Utah author/illustrator's 'Princess Wannabe' a delightful story about what a princess is
In “Princess Wannabe," when Fern’s baby sitter tells her princess stories all end the same, Fern wants to find out for herself what it’s like to be a princess.
While her tiara is firmly in place, some fairy dust leaks out of a storybook and Fern finds herself meeting a fairy godmother, who is trying to fix the dust leak. The fairy godmother points her to the princess in the castle and tells her to “just stay on the path” that goes over a river and through a forest.
Along the way, she meets several characters from fairy tales, including a frog prince, a wolf with piglets, a giant who is directing air traffic and blind mice that aren’t exactly how they appear in their tales. Fern learns to ask questions about each situation rather than just assume she knows what’s going on.
Once in the throne room, she finds the princess holding court with many fairy tale characters for story time. And then it’s Fern’s turn to ask the princess a question — and Fern gets an answer that surprises her.
Salt Lake City author and illustrator Leslie Lammle created a delightful story in this cleverly illustrated picture book. Lammle has included many characters from several fairy tales in her almost whimsical drawings — even those when Fern is at home.
Lammle is a former Deseret News graphic designer. She is the author and illustrator of “Once Upon a Saturday” and illustrator of “Pajama Pirates.”
If you go ...
What: Story time with Leslie Lammle and book signing
When: Saturday, May 10, 11 a.m.–noon
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase a copy of the featured book from The King's English.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Down with love: 9 movies to celebrate Singles...
- Salt Lake native to compete on 'Survivor:...
- Chris Hicks: Academy Award rules change to...
- 'The People vs. OJ Simpson' is better than it...
- Making music together: Couples of Utah...
- A black-and-white Valentine’s Day:...
- 'Zoolander 2' is too little too late for Blue...
- Chris Hicks: ‘Touched By an...
- Down with love: 9 movies to celebrate... 3
- 'Hail, Caesar!' struggles to hit a... 2
- Chris Hicks: Academy Award rules change... 1
- Making music together: Couples of Utah... 1
- Game Review: Tumult Royale: It's tough... 0
- A black-and-white Valentine’s... 0
- 'Zoolander 2' is too little too late... 0
- 'Zoolander 2': 3 points for parents 0