High school baseball: Skyline sneaks past Mountain View
OREM — Skyline pitcher Dimitri Sakellariou wasn’t exactly overpowering or flashy, but he was efficient enough to propel his team to a 2-1 win over Mountain View Thursday.
The junior went the distance for the Eagles, recording four strikeouts through seven innings and otherwise providing outs in any way possible.
“I really don’t know how he does it at times, but he does it and that’s what’s important,” said Skyline coach Erik Hansen. “He just throws strikes, doesn’t overpower anyone, and gets outs and he got it done today.”
Sakellariou’s effort typified that of his team in a tight one-run win.
Skyline’s two runs came in the top of the first courtesy of an RBI single from Anj Bourgeois and a sacrifice fly from Riley Hennings.
While not much, those two runs proved to be enough for the win.
“We need to get more runs, sure, but fortunately it was enough today,” Hansen said. “We had good hitting from the top of the order, but we need to be better all the way through. Fortunately we got a good effort from our pitcher and made some good defensive plays.”
Hansen noted the defensive effort of Bourgeois at shortstop, along with Sakellariou’s pitching.
The Bruins managed their lone run in the bottom of the third on a fielding error, which scored Kyle Johnson from second base.
From there, Sakellariou allowed just two base runners for another Region 7 win — Skyline’s ninth region victory this season against just a single loss. The win puts the Eagles in a tie with Murray with just two games left in the regular season.
“If you would have told me that we’d be where we’re at when we started the year, no question I would have taken it,” Hansen said. “To be tied with a great team like Murray in region, that’s a great place to be at.”
Mountain View drops to 8-4 in region and 13-11 overall with the loss.
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 38
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19