Among the graduates was Jamal Abdinor, a Gates Millennium fellow, who completed a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering.
"It feels surreal right now," he said on Thursday. "It hasn't hit me yet."
Abdinor, who was born in Somalia and moved to Utah when he was 3 years old, decided to enroll at the University of Utah after participating in a high school internship program with the university's chemical engineering program.
"I just wanted to continue with what I was doing and I felt the U. would be the best place for that," he said.
This fall, Abdinor will begin working toward a master's degree in chemical engineering at Columbia University.
He is also one of the owners of JC Medical, a medical device company launched during his time at the University of Utah, which producers the LIYEN — Last Inhaler You'll Ever Need — an innovative inhaler that more efficiently delivers medication.
"We hope to continue with the company and further develop it," he said.
Alyssa Wood, a communication major from Payson, said she hoped to visit Spain during the summer before returning to the U. in the fall for law school.
"I'm going to take a break and enjoy my social life and sweet time before law school," she said.
Wood said she enjoyed the people she had met and the classes she was able to take during her undergraduate studies. She said she was excited to "stay red" and re-enroll at the university for the next phase of her education.
"I stayed because I've been really impressed with the U of U Law School and how supportive they are," she said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22