Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke apologizes for inappropriate Instagram post
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz guard Trey Burke apologized for an insensitive post on Instagram that mocked a Michigan man with a rare genetic disorder.
Burke, former NBA star Shaquille O’Neal and rapper Waka Flocka Flame were each criticized for making fun of Jahmel Binion, a 23-year-old from Madison Heights, Michigan, who suffers from ectodermal dysplasia, which produces abnormalities with the hair, teeth, nails, sweat glands and face.
All three have since apologized publicly for their insensitive social media posts.
According to a Jazz spokesperson, Burke called Jahmel personally on Tuesday, but originally chose not to tweet or post a public apology because he didn’t want to bring any unwanted attention to Jahmel. However, after the story became public, Burke chose to publicly tweet his apology, which read, “Had the opportunity to talk to Jahmel Binion yesterday and apologize about the post on IG!”
Burke saw a selfie Binion posted of himself, but didn’t realize it was a real person with a real disability associated with it. O’Neal posted a picture of himself mocking the picture of Binion.
Randy Wimbley of Fox 2 Detroit reported that Burke’s apology seemed to be the most sincere, according to Binion. Burke also offered to take Binion and his family to the Utah-Detroit game when the Jazz are in Michigan next year.
Binion has started an anti-bullying campaign on Facebook called “Hug Don’t Judge” that already has 10,000 members. He also told Fox 2 that he hopes Burke, O’Neal and Waka will all work to raise awareness of the disorder he was born with.
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22