Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke apologizes for inappropriate Instagram post
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz guard Trey Burke apologized for an insensitive post on Instagram that mocked a Michigan man with a rare genetic disorder.
Burke, former NBA star Shaquille O’Neal and rapper Waka Flocka Flame were each criticized for making fun of Jahmel Binion, a 23-year-old from Madison Heights, Michigan, who suffers from ectodermal dysplasia, which produces abnormalities with the hair, teeth, nails, sweat glands and face.
All three have since apologized publicly for their insensitive social media posts.
According to a Jazz spokesperson, Burke called Jahmel personally on Tuesday, but originally chose not to tweet or post a public apology because he didn’t want to bring any unwanted attention to Jahmel. However, after the story became public, Burke chose to publicly tweet his apology, which read, “Had the opportunity to talk to Jahmel Binion yesterday and apologize about the post on IG!”
Burke saw a selfie Binion posted of himself, but didn’t realize it was a real person with a real disability associated with it. O’Neal posted a picture of himself mocking the picture of Binion.
Randy Wimbley of Fox 2 Detroit reported that Burke’s apology seemed to be the most sincere, according to Binion. Burke also offered to take Binion and his family to the Utah-Detroit game when the Jazz are in Michigan next year.
Binion has started an anti-bullying campaign on Facebook called “Hug Don’t Judge” that already has 10,000 members. He also told Fox 2 that he hopes Burke, O’Neal and Waka will all work to raise awareness of the disorder he was born with.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5