Does anyone besides me fear for our democracy? We now live in a world where the rich and powerful can spend unlimited amounts of money on think tanks. This creates right-wing issues that appeal to emotion but have little or no basis in fact. Some of these issues include liberals wanting to take your guns away, the rich being given more and more tax breaks or liberals wanting to take your money and give it to the poor, who will just waste it.
These messages are then repeated by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and others. Unfortunately, this works and causes hard-working, struggling Americans to vote against their own self-interest repeatedly.
We need to fund quality education and fix our infrastructure, we need affordable quality health care for all. We need to maintain our national and state parks, not sell off the land for development.
Please do not allow yourself to be manipulated any more. Educate yourself on the issues. Vote for candidates who will invest in our future, not starve our society so a few well-off and well-connected campaign donors can make exorbitant short-run profits at our expense.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- Jay Evensen: Marijuana acceptance will lead...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Letter: Irreparable damage
- Join the discussion: Is bipartisanship making...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 79
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- Letter: Utah's birthright 46
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Letter: Irreparable damage 42
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 38
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37