Does anyone besides me fear for our democracy? We now live in a world where the rich and powerful can spend unlimited amounts of money on think tanks. This creates right-wing issues that appeal to emotion but have little or no basis in fact. Some of these issues include liberals wanting to take your guns away, the rich being given more and more tax breaks or liberals wanting to take your money and give it to the poor, who will just waste it.
These messages are then repeated by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and others. Unfortunately, this works and causes hard-working, struggling Americans to vote against their own self-interest repeatedly.
We need to fund quality education and fix our infrastructure, we need affordable quality health care for all. We need to maintain our national and state parks, not sell off the land for development.
Please do not allow yourself to be manipulated any more. Educate yourself on the issues. Vote for candidates who will invest in our future, not starve our society so a few well-off and well-connected campaign donors can make exorbitant short-run profits at our expense.
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 94
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 38
- In our opinion: On Holder's heels... 34