Prom season is upon us, and in recent years much of the spotlight has been focused on just how expensive dresses and dates have become. The good news for parents of promgoers this year is that those exorbitant rates are declining.
But the best news of all may be coming from Parkway High School in Rockford, Ohio. One of the attendees at the April 26 event may not have taken home the crown, but she was certainly treated like a dancing queen.
Eighty-nine-year-old Delores Dennison was taken to the dance by her 19-year-old great-grandson, Austin Dennison, and she was the center of attention.
The idea was inspired by one of Austin Dennison's high school teachers, Lucas Minnich, according to timesbulletin.com.
“Mr. Minnich told me that his older brother had taken his grandma to the prom,” Dennison told TimesBulletin.com. “I asked Grandma if she would be my date to the prom and she said that she would be honored. I told her that it would be my privilege."
According to a YouTube video posted May 1, prom night comprised a series of significant events for the two. Austin Dennison kicked off the evening by serenading his great-grandma with "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Dinner at Bob Evans and a promenade followed, and last came a sweet slow dance to Frank Sinatra's "Dolores" — a song Delores Dennison's late husband used to sing to her, according to foxnews.com.
Delores Dennison told timesbulletin.com that her great-grandson bought her a pearl necklace for the event and "was so good." Austin Dennison — who has updated his Facebook, Twitter and Instagram profile images to a picture from the evening — seems to have enjoyed himself as well.
And others have taken to social media to express their admiration for Austin.
My boy @311Austin making the front page of the paper for bringing his great grandma to prom because she never could afford it. Proud friend.— Matthew (@mtheindel) April 28, 2014
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of...
- The Clean Cut: Mothers brought to tears in...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- Charlie and the Doll Factory? Penguin's new...
- Sherry Young: The man who delivers flowers,...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 24
- Provo company creates program that... 16
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with... 9