Smith noted that Chiefs coach Andy Reid went to BYU and constantly likes to make jabs. However, Smith added that Reid “hasn’t had a lot of opportunity lately.”
Among the other topics Smith addressed were the new college football playoffs, the Northwestern situation involving possible unionization of players, turning 30 next week, and advice for the Utes moving forward.
Smith said the Utes would have loved the opportunity to participate in a playoff after the 2004 season. Because no such format existed, they’re left with never knowing just how good they were that year.
The Northwestern deal, he noted, is something where he would like to see money pumped back to the institutions and players.
Smith, who made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Chiefs, said that his success since moving over from the San Francisco 49ers is a reaffirmation that he’s doing things the right way. As he approaches his 10th season in the NFL and 30th birthday, Smith said he’s “now the old man in the locker room.”
Even so, Smith focused most of his remarks on age to his family life. The married father of two young boys said he’s learning that actions are the most important thing in parenting, explaining that his kids see everything and watch him.
In closing, Smith was asked if he had any advice for the Utes. He noted that so much goes into winning and that the challenges are different in the Pac-12. Smith, though, challenged them to take the next step — just as the program did with victories in the Fiesta and Sugar bowls.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20