Smith noted that Chiefs coach Andy Reid went to BYU and constantly likes to make jabs. However, Smith added that Reid “hasn’t had a lot of opportunity lately.”
Among the other topics Smith addressed were the new college football playoffs, the Northwestern situation involving possible unionization of players, turning 30 next week, and advice for the Utes moving forward.
Smith said the Utes would have loved the opportunity to participate in a playoff after the 2004 season. Because no such format existed, they’re left with never knowing just how good they were that year.
The Northwestern deal, he noted, is something where he would like to see money pumped back to the institutions and players.
Smith, who made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Chiefs, said that his success since moving over from the San Francisco 49ers is a reaffirmation that he’s doing things the right way. As he approaches his 10th season in the NFL and 30th birthday, Smith said he’s “now the old man in the locker room.”
Even so, Smith focused most of his remarks on age to his family life. The married father of two young boys said he’s learning that actions are the most important thing in parenting, explaining that his kids see everything and watch him.
In closing, Smith was asked if he had any advice for the Utes. He noted that so much goes into winning and that the challenges are different in the Pac-12. Smith, though, challenged them to take the next step — just as the program did with victories in the Fiesta and Sugar bowls.
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22