Smith noted that Chiefs coach Andy Reid went to BYU and constantly likes to make jabs. However, Smith added that Reid “hasn’t had a lot of opportunity lately.”
Among the other topics Smith addressed were the new college football playoffs, the Northwestern situation involving possible unionization of players, turning 30 next week, and advice for the Utes moving forward.
Smith said the Utes would have loved the opportunity to participate in a playoff after the 2004 season. Because no such format existed, they’re left with never knowing just how good they were that year.
The Northwestern deal, he noted, is something where he would like to see money pumped back to the institutions and players.
Smith, who made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Chiefs, said that his success since moving over from the San Francisco 49ers is a reaffirmation that he’s doing things the right way. As he approaches his 10th season in the NFL and 30th birthday, Smith said he’s “now the old man in the locker room.”
Even so, Smith focused most of his remarks on age to his family life. The married father of two young boys said he’s learning that actions are the most important thing in parenting, explaining that his kids see everything and watch him.
In closing, Smith was asked if he had any advice for the Utes. He noted that so much goes into winning and that the challenges are different in the Pac-12. Smith, though, challenged them to take the next step — just as the program did with victories in the Fiesta and Sugar bowls.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44