Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Volunteers of America Utah will consolidate its Center for Women and Children in Murray with its Adult Detoxification Center at 252 W. Brooklyn Ave. due to funding cuts.
"Like many other nonprofits, we’ve experienced funding losses from government contracts, as well as from other sources across several programs. Consolidating both programs into one location will allow us to continue to provide critical social model detoxification services to both men and women in Salt Lake County," VOA Utah spokeswoman DeAnn Zebelean wrote in a statement.
The Center for Women and Children has employed 26 full- and part-time employees, but it is not yet clear how many will be displaced by consolidating the programs.
VOA has about 10 open positions elsewhere in its organization, and displaced employees are being encouraged to apply for those jobs. VOA is offering severance packages to employees based on their years of service, Zebelean said.
Women will be moved to the Adult Detoxification Center by May 22. Some staff will shift to the center as well.
VOA's Adult Detoxification Center is the primary provider for detoxification services in Salt Lake County. The program serves approximately 1,600 people a year, most of whom are homeless and/or living in poverty.
The Center for Women and Children is a residential facility with capacity for 28 clients, though it has averaged 18 clients a week in recent months. The adult detox facility can serve 19 women, she said.
Zebelean said VOA plans to repurpose the building that has served as the Center for Women and Children, but no decisions have been made.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 97
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9