Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Volunteers of America Utah will consolidate its Center for Women and Children in Murray with its Adult Detoxification Center at 252 W. Brooklyn Ave. due to funding cuts.
"Like many other nonprofits, we’ve experienced funding losses from government contracts, as well as from other sources across several programs. Consolidating both programs into one location will allow us to continue to provide critical social model detoxification services to both men and women in Salt Lake County," VOA Utah spokeswoman DeAnn Zebelean wrote in a statement.
The Center for Women and Children has employed 26 full- and part-time employees, but it is not yet clear how many will be displaced by consolidating the programs.
VOA has about 10 open positions elsewhere in its organization, and displaced employees are being encouraged to apply for those jobs. VOA is offering severance packages to employees based on their years of service, Zebelean said.
Women will be moved to the Adult Detoxification Center by May 22. Some staff will shift to the center as well.
VOA's Adult Detoxification Center is the primary provider for detoxification services in Salt Lake County. The program serves approximately 1,600 people a year, most of whom are homeless and/or living in poverty.
The Center for Women and Children is a residential facility with capacity for 28 clients, though it has averaged 18 clients a week in recent months. The adult detox facility can serve 19 women, she said.
Zebelean said VOA plans to repurpose the building that has served as the Center for Women and Children, but no decisions have been made.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 83
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21