Summer TV preview: What the networks are offering, and what families can expect
A series from the producers of "The Amazing Race" that promises to be an epic reality adventure, "The Quest" brings players into a fantasy-based competition series created with the help of the Lord of the Rings filmmakers. Twelve contestants will be picked to go through a series of larger-than-life challenges involving magic and mythical creatures. Family audiences can expect a more family-friendly timeslot to appeal to all-age audiences and "Once Upon a Time" fans
“Hatfields & McCoys: White Lightning,” Friday, Aug. 1, History Channel
A reality show following the modern-day descendants of the most well-known feuders in American history, “Hatfields & McCoys: White Lightning” follows the two families in modern-day West Virginia as they attempt to raise themselves out of poverty and keep a tenuous peace between them. Though it is a reality series, the show was picked up in the wake of Kevin Costner’s miniseries “Hatfields & McCoys,” previously a huge hit for History Channel. Family audiences can expect a series about moonshining that premieres late on cable. Likely not a family series.
“Legends,” Friday, Aug. 22, TNT
From the producer of “24” and “Homeland” comes a new spy thriller about a deep cover agent (Sean Bean, Lord of the Rings trilogy) who is so good at his job that he has begun losing track of which identity is truly his. The series will explore not only the intriguing world of black ops but also the emotional toll that secrecy and deceit can take on a human being. Family audiences can expect some heavy action-related violence from TNT, which also allows occasional language.
Chris Vander Kaay is a screenwriter and author who lives in Central Florida with his wife and co-writer, Kathleen.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1