Mother's 'nightmare' becomes 'a wonderful dream' after son found safe
Later, after Steven was reunited with his family, they all went back to Dixon's home to thank him. Steven showed his family where he slept and told them he was cold. Members of his family commented they couldn't believe he had walked that far.
They then said thank you to Dixon and Sammy.
"She's a hero. She found him," Dixon said of his Yorkie. "She just heard him, started barking like it was an intruder of some sorts — a deer or something like that. So we went out there, and there the little guy was."
Dixon said Sammy survived a cougar attack a few years ago that left her blind.
"She doesn't know she's blind. Her sight transferred to her hearing and her smell, and she just goes on like nothing ever happened," he said.
The search for Steven had expanded into Davis and Utah counties Thursday morning because his parents said he liked to hike. A Utah Highway Patrol helicopter was flying over the mountains in Bountiful Thursday morning.
Nearly 200 people joined the search for Steven between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, according to Shane Siwik, who coordinated the volunteer effort. Siwik has been active in search and rescue operations after a neighborhood search helped locate his 6-year-old daughter more than a decade ago.
He was joined by many volunteers such as Trisha Nelson, of Herriman, who drove to the park when she heard the news. Her 12-year-old son also has autism.
"It really is miraculous," Nelson said after Steven had been found.
Contributing: Richard Piatt
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13