Lehi baseball team forced to forfeit final 2 region contests
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
MIDVALE — The Lehi baseball team will forfeit its final two region games as punishment for violating the contest limitation rule.
First-year coach Jason Ingersoll overscheduled his team by two games, and when it was discovered, the region’s principals voted to force the Pioneer baseball team to forfeit its final two region games of the season. Ingersoll and one of Lehi’s assistant principals appealed that decision to the Utah High School Activities Association’s Executive Committee on Wednesday.
“Trust me, it won’t happen again,” Ingersoll told the committee in an appeal hearing Wednesday morning. “These kids have done everything asked of them. The right thing to do is to punish me.”
Lehi’s assistant principal Christian Smith said both the coach and the school were willing to accept any punishment that would allow the team to play the remainder of its schedule without a forfeit.
“Our real concern is that we don’t take it out on the kids,” Smith said.
One issue, he said, is that the school didn’t have a full-time athletic director this year. That’s something the school will change next year, but it believes it would have been caught sooner, allowing the team to cancel or forfeit non-region games to remedy the situation.
“I wish it benefited me,” Ingersoll said.
But the executive committee voted 17-0 not to overturn the region’s decision. That means Lehi will miss the playoffs as it was battling Lone Peak for the fourth and final spot in the playoffs. Ingersoll said the team needed to win its remaining region games in order to make the playoffs.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 90
- Things won't get any easier for... 66
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 22