Lehi baseball team forced to forfeit final 2 region contests
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
MIDVALE — The Lehi baseball team will forfeit its final two region games as punishment for violating the contest limitation rule.
First-year coach Jason Ingersoll overscheduled his team by two games, and when it was discovered, the region’s principals voted to force the Pioneer baseball team to forfeit its final two region games of the season. Ingersoll and one of Lehi’s assistant principals appealed that decision to the Utah High School Activities Association’s Executive Committee on Wednesday.
“Trust me, it won’t happen again,” Ingersoll told the committee in an appeal hearing Wednesday morning. “These kids have done everything asked of them. The right thing to do is to punish me.”
Lehi’s assistant principal Christian Smith said both the coach and the school were willing to accept any punishment that would allow the team to play the remainder of its schedule without a forfeit.
“Our real concern is that we don’t take it out on the kids,” Smith said.
One issue, he said, is that the school didn’t have a full-time athletic director this year. That’s something the school will change next year, but it believes it would have been caught sooner, allowing the team to cancel or forfeit non-region games to remedy the situation.
“I wish it benefited me,” Ingersoll said.
But the executive committee voted 17-0 not to overturn the region’s decision. That means Lehi will miss the playoffs as it was battling Lone Peak for the fourth and final spot in the playoffs. Ingersoll said the team needed to win its remaining region games in order to make the playoffs.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 19