Lehi baseball team forced to forfeit final 2 region contests
Hugh Carey, Deseret News
MIDVALE — The Lehi baseball team will forfeit its final two region games as punishment for violating the contest limitation rule.
First-year coach Jason Ingersoll overscheduled his team by two games, and when it was discovered, the region’s principals voted to force the Pioneer baseball team to forfeit its final two region games of the season. Ingersoll and one of Lehi’s assistant principals appealed that decision to the Utah High School Activities Association’s Executive Committee on Wednesday.
“Trust me, it won’t happen again,” Ingersoll told the committee in an appeal hearing Wednesday morning. “These kids have done everything asked of them. The right thing to do is to punish me.”
Lehi’s assistant principal Christian Smith said both the coach and the school were willing to accept any punishment that would allow the team to play the remainder of its schedule without a forfeit.
“Our real concern is that we don’t take it out on the kids,” Smith said.
One issue, he said, is that the school didn’t have a full-time athletic director this year. That’s something the school will change next year, but it believes it would have been caught sooner, allowing the team to cancel or forfeit non-region games to remedy the situation.
“I wish it benefited me,” Ingersoll said.
But the executive committee voted 17-0 not to overturn the region’s decision. That means Lehi will miss the playoffs as it was battling Lone Peak for the fourth and final spot in the playoffs. Ingersoll said the team needed to win its remaining region games in order to make the playoffs.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 30
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22