Lehi hit the road for the second game in its series with Pleasant Grove on Wednesday. The Pioneers started out going three up and three down in their first half of the inning. Pleasant Grove started out its half of the inning by batting all the way around, including five runs on five hits, one being a blast over the left field fence with two runners on base by sophomore catcher Payton Henry. At the end of the first inning, the Vikings were up 5-0, and the rout was on. At the end of 5½ innings, the Vikings led the Pioneers 16-1.
Vikings head coach Darrin Henry was proud of his team for the way it took charge of the game right from the start. "One of the keys for our team is like a recipe, we have so much hitting, pitching and defensive work throughout the year that the kids just know what to do in every situation. The kids love their roles in the game and on the team. We don't have to keep coaching them, they already know what to do."
He does remind them that they still have work to do. "Don't forget that we still have to play these guys one more time this week," he said. "Don't look past this next game. They swept West Lake and beat Lone Peak and American Fork once each. They are a good team!"
Pitching for Pleasant Grove, senior Brody Blackhurst threw 51 pitches in four innings, giving kudos to the defense for keeping the Pioneers off the bases. The Pioneers had one run off five hits and three walks. Pleasant Grove had 16 runs off 15 hits and six walks.
The Vikings now have a 12-2 Region 4 record, with an overall record of 15-6. Lehi has a 5-9 region record and a 10-12 overall record. This series will continue on Friday at Lehi High School for the third and final game between these two region foes for the regular season. That game will begin at 4 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School Varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0