SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man was charged Wednesday after police say he stole another man's bicycle and assaulted him four days later.
Desean Michael Goins, 23, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony; and failure to stop at the command of law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor.
On April 20, police say a man came out of Quality Quick Stop, 910 N. 900 West, to find Goins walking away with his Panasonic bicycle valued at $500. The man said, "Hey, that's my bike," and took his bike back, according to charging documents.
As the man started walking away, Goins approached him, produced a butcher knife and said, "I'm taking your bike," before taking the bike again and leaving, the charges state.
Four days later, the man was sitting on his front porch when he saw Goins and a woman walk by with his bicycle. The man said he got a stick, got on his other bike and went after Goins, according to police.
After refusing to surrender the bike, Goins charged the man, who hit him with the stick, police say. Goins then hit the man and put him in a choke hold, according to the charges. When someone yelled at him to let the man go, Goins fled.
The man suffered a broken shoulder from the altercation, court documents state.
Three officers later had to tackle Goins before booking him into the Salt Lake County Jail.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15