SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man was charged Wednesday after police say he stole another man's bicycle and assaulted him four days later.
Desean Michael Goins, 23, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony; and failure to stop at the command of law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor.
On April 20, police say a man came out of Quality Quick Stop, 910 N. 900 West, to find Goins walking away with his Panasonic bicycle valued at $500. The man said, "Hey, that's my bike," and took his bike back, according to charging documents.
As the man started walking away, Goins approached him, produced a butcher knife and said, "I'm taking your bike," before taking the bike again and leaving, the charges state.
Four days later, the man was sitting on his front porch when he saw Goins and a woman walk by with his bicycle. The man said he got a stick, got on his other bike and went after Goins, according to police.
After refusing to surrender the bike, Goins charged the man, who hit him with the stick, police say. Goins then hit the man and put him in a choke hold, according to the charges. When someone yelled at him to let the man go, Goins fled.
The man suffered a broken shoulder from the altercation, court documents state.
Three officers later had to tackle Goins before booking him into the Salt Lake County Jail.
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- 2 Kearns men not wearing seat belts killed in...
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17