Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — An 8-year-old girl was in extremely critical condition after being hit by a school bus on her way home from school Wednesday afternoon.
A bus heading south on 4000 West pulled to the side of the road near 10600 South, and the girl disembarked. While attempting to cross 4000 West, the girl was struck by another school bus, according to South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
"For reasons unknown at this point there was another Jordan School District bus going southbound also that didn't see this girl and struck her," Winkler said.
The girl was taken to Intermountain Medical Center and later transported via helicopter to Primary Children's Hospital, where she underwent surgery. She was still in extremely critical condition from head injuries Wednesday evening, Winkler said.
Sarat Rimal, whose daughter attends Welby Elementary School, said the accident was a tragedy felt by many parents.
"Our hearts reach out to them," he said. "Of course, it's in our neighborhood. We feel really bad for them."
Jordan School District spokeswoman Sandy Riesgraf echoed Rimal's sentiments.
"This is very, very sad," she said. "It saddens us to see something like this happen."
Police were still investigating whether a stop sign was being used on the side of the bus from which the girl disembarked. Police were speaking with witnesses, many of whom were children, to better understand what happened.
Authorities said grief counselors will be available Thursday at Welby Elementary as there were children on the buses when the accident happened.
"Obviously, they're quite traumatized," Winkler said.
Contributing: Andrew Adams
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16