Tips for living: How to recognize 'The Measure of a Mother's Heart'
Utah author Toni Sorenson doesn't believe Mother's Day should be the only day mothers are celebrated and made to feel special. She encourages readers to recognize the mothers around them and be grateful for all they do. Mothers need to stop worrying about what they don't get paid to stay home, she writes.
"The only real treasury capable of holding a mother's due wage is in the measure of her heart," she said.
Mother's shouldn't use the role of motherhood to compare or discourage others or themselves. "If the voice inside your head isn't encouraging and edifying you, if it is not a whisper of hope, then it's not coming from Christ," she wrote.
Women don't need to give birth to be a mother. A women's influence is far-reaching. "There is a sister at the back of every chapel who slips out early on Mother's Day before the potted plants or pamphlets are passed out. Remember her and thank her for all the mothering she's done anyway," Sorenson wrote.
Nothing will prepare a woman for the role of motherhood, as well as hands-on experience, whether they are their own kids or someone else's. "Your on-the-job-training best qualifies you for that sacred position," she said.
Motherhood is: Hazardous, confusing, complicated, wrenching, worth it.
When the role of motherhood seems overwhelming, mothers must remember Heavenly Father entrusted these children in their care. "He trusts you! Don't doubt yourself; God has confidence in you," she said.
No matter what a child does, he or she is still in need of love: "We don't give up on our child because God has not given up on us," she wrote.
The three main things to do as a mother: Believe in God. Believe in yourself. Believe in your child.
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 9
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 6
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 4
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3