Two charged in Stansbury Park teen's stabbing death

Published: Wednesday, April 30 2014 3:55 p.m. MDT

Coffey and Jesse were acquaintances who went to high school together. Beach had been in Utah for only a week and no one else at the fight except his cousin knew him, according to investigators.

A woman who answered the door at Coffey's house on Wednesday said she was not interested in speaking to the media before shutting and locking the door.

A memorial service for Jesse was scheduled for Wednesday at the Deseret Peak Complex, followed by a "party" at the home of "Grandma Sue," the grandparents of Jesse's girlfriend where Jesse and his friends spent a lot of time.

Although it was too late for the family to donate his vital organs, Horowitz said her son's corneas and arteries from his legs and stomach were being donated. Jesse's ashes will be flown back to his birthplace of Minneapolis for interment.

Ever since the incident, Horowitz and her husband have been wearing different articles of clothing that belonged to her son.

"Emotionally, I'm like a roller coaster because I'm feeling such love and support. But then it will just hit me. Mornings and nighttime are the worst," she said. "I've slept in Jesse's bed every night."

Horowitz hopes her son's death will convince teens and young adults in the area to quit fighting.

"I want these kids to stop fighting. Everybody loved my son. He didn't have a beef with anybody. But he was there to back his friends," she said. "Nothing good happens after midnight. … Some crazy is going to hurt somebody. And my son's life is gone and we can't change it."

Hogan concurred.

"Tragic dumb things seem to have a higher incidence of occurrence after midnight," the county attorney said. "This is a sad thing to have happened at any time. But it's really struck a chord here in our community. It's really sad."

Email: preavy@deseretnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere