Two charged in Stansbury Park teen's stabbing death
Coffey and Jesse were acquaintances who went to high school together. Beach had been in Utah for only a week and no one else at the fight except his cousin knew him, according to investigators.
A woman who answered the door at Coffey's house on Wednesday said she was not interested in speaking to the media before shutting and locking the door.
A memorial service for Jesse was scheduled for Wednesday at the Deseret Peak Complex, followed by a "party" at the home of "Grandma Sue," the grandparents of Jesse's girlfriend where Jesse and his friends spent a lot of time.
Although it was too late for the family to donate his vital organs, Horowitz said her son's corneas and arteries from his legs and stomach were being donated. Jesse's ashes will be flown back to his birthplace of Minneapolis for interment.
Ever since the incident, Horowitz and her husband have been wearing different articles of clothing that belonged to her son.
"Emotionally, I'm like a roller coaster because I'm feeling such love and support. But then it will just hit me. Mornings and nighttime are the worst," she said. "I've slept in Jesse's bed every night."
Horowitz hopes her son's death will convince teens and young adults in the area to quit fighting.
"I want these kids to stop fighting. Everybody loved my son. He didn't have a beef with anybody. But he was there to back his friends," she said. "Nothing good happens after midnight. Some crazy is going to hurt somebody. And my son's life is gone and we can't change it."
"Tragic dumb things seem to have a higher incidence of occurrence after midnight," the county attorney said. "This is a sad thing to have happened at any time. But it's really struck a chord here in our community. It's really sad."
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12