What's new: 'Gathering As One' shares photos, history of Tabernacle on Temple Square
Brigham Young University Press
"GATHERING AS ONE: The History of the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City" by Elwin C. Robison with W. Randall Dixon, Brigham Young University Studies, $39.95, 280 pages (nf)
"Gathering as One: The History of the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City" by Elwin C. Robison is a detailed book about one of the most notable and recognized buildings in Salt Lake City. Filled with pictures and old documents, Robison's book explains the long and arduous process it took to build this magnificent building.
When the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-days Saints arrived in Salt Lake City, Brigham Young decided it was time for them to build a hall where thousands of people could attend church services. In order to make this a reality, Young relied on architects Henry Grow, William Folsom and Truman O. Angel. Together they created a hall that seated approximately 13,000 people.
One of the best parts of this book is the pictures of the original construction plan of the building. It is fascinating to think of the hard work the early Saints put into the construction of the Tabernacle.
Another appeal of the book is toward the last section where Robison gives a brief account of the Conference Center and how it was built. Robison calls the center a "boon to the Tabernacle."
"Gathering As One" is an excellent coffee table-style photo book. It can be flipped through quickly or read in great detail. While this book will be enjoyed by those of all ages, those who are interested in LDS Church history will probably enjoy it best.
Robison received his bachelor's degree in civil engineering from Brigham Young University. He also received a master's degree and a doctorate in architectural history from Cornell University. He is also the author of "The First Mormon Temple: Design, Construction, and Historic Context of the Kirtland Temple."
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- Ebola outbreak prompts evacuation of LDS...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Defending the Faith: But what of those who...
- 10 reasons religious education belongs in school
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 35
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that... 34
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 30
- 10 reasons religious education belongs... 22
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 20
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 17
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 9