VERNAL — A portion of the Flume Trail near Vernal has been closed to public use due to concerns with encroachment on private property.
The closed section of the trail is adjacent to the new Flume Trailhead, located at the junction of the Massey Meadows road and the Red Cloud Loop road. The closure extends west about 1.1 miles to the intersection of the Flume Trail and the South Fork Dry Fork Trail.
All other portions of the trail remain open. Access to the lower portion of the trail is available at existing trailheads along the Red Cloud Loop road. Access to the trail above the closure area is available at Massey Meadows or by traveling along the Massey Meadows road.
The closure is necessary due to landowner concerns regarding trail encroachment onto private land. To address the issue, the Forest Service recently approved a potential reroute that will be entirely on Ashley National Forest lands.
The closure will remain in effect until construction of the trail reroute is complete or other agreements are made with affected landowners. Construction of the reroute is expected to begin June 16.
Also, spring opening of forest roads for vehicle access is occurring as road conditions allow. Access to the Flume Trail along the Red Cloud Loop road to the junction of Massey Meadows road and continuing to Massey Meadows is anticipated to open May 1. Other forest roads will open as snow melts and roads dry.
For more information, contact Ashley National Forest at 435-789-1181.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 28
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25