VERNAL — A portion of the Flume Trail near Vernal has been closed to public use due to concerns with encroachment on private property.
The closed section of the trail is adjacent to the new Flume Trailhead, located at the junction of the Massey Meadows road and the Red Cloud Loop road. The closure extends west about 1.1 miles to the intersection of the Flume Trail and the South Fork Dry Fork Trail.
All other portions of the trail remain open. Access to the lower portion of the trail is available at existing trailheads along the Red Cloud Loop road. Access to the trail above the closure area is available at Massey Meadows or by traveling along the Massey Meadows road.
The closure is necessary due to landowner concerns regarding trail encroachment onto private land. To address the issue, the Forest Service recently approved a potential reroute that will be entirely on Ashley National Forest lands.
The closure will remain in effect until construction of the trail reroute is complete or other agreements are made with affected landowners. Construction of the reroute is expected to begin June 16.
Also, spring opening of forest roads for vehicle access is occurring as road conditions allow. Access to the Flume Trail along the Red Cloud Loop road to the junction of Massey Meadows road and continuing to Massey Meadows is anticipated to open May 1. Other forest roads will open as snow melts and roads dry.
For more information, contact Ashley National Forest at 435-789-1181.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 19
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14