Winners of five straight, Utah Valley University baseball will host in-state rival BYU on Tuesday at 6 p.m. MT in the final non-conference home game of the season. The game can be heard live on 960 AM the Zone and streamed online on UVU's Athletic website.
The Wolverines (19-22) swept Northern Colorado in a three-game Western Athletic Conference series over the weekend and currently sit in third in the league standings at 11-7 overall. The Cougars (16-25) were off last week but won two of three from Loyola Marymount the prior weekend in West Coast Conference action.
“BYU is playing really well right now and coming off of a very good series win over LMU,” UVU head coach Eric Madsen said. “They are a well-coached club and always play very hard and know they’ll be motivated to come over here and have a good showing. We’re going to have to play good baseball to give ourselves a chance to win.”
Tuesday is the second of two games between the neighboring schools this season, with UVU winning the first game between the teams, 8-3, on April 1 at Larry H. Miller Field in Provo. In that game, Craig Brinkerhoff homered and drove in three runs while Mark Krueger had a pair of doubles and also had three RBIs for UVU. Devin Nelson, who will start Tuesday for the Wolverines, pitched 8.1 innings to pick up the win.
BYU owns a 16-8 advantage in the all-time series. The series has been even over the past seven years though with each team winning six times.
Following Tuesday’s contest, Utah Valley heads to New Mexico State for three WAC games before playing a single game on Monday, May 5, at New Mexico of the Mountain West Conference.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 107
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43