Damian Lillard gives Twitter shout-out to fan who is 11 days cancer free
Sunday night the Portland Trail Blazers came back from being down 10 points against the Houston Rockets to eventually pull off a 123-120 victory. But after the game, players were grateful for more than the win.
Haley Bellows, a Blazers fan and non-Hodgkin lymphoma survivor, attended the basketball game Sunday with a message for her favorite team, according to Bleacher Report. Bellows held up a sign that read, "If I can beat cancer, Rip City can beat the Rockets. #11DaysCancerfree."
During the game, Bellows's sign was dubbed best of the night and featured on the Jumbotron, which prompted others to share her story on social media.
The message touched many, including former Weber State star and current Trail Blazers point guard Damian Lillard. Following the game, Lillard tweeted a message to one of his biggest fans.
Bellows was overwhelmed with the response and expressed her excitement and gratitude on Instagram for Lillard's message.
"And this right here is why @damianlillard is my favorite player. What a game and what a night. I am truly grateful. #11daysCancerFree #RipCity #GoBlazers"
Many on social media, including NBA Access, reached out to Bellows directly, while others used her hashtag to express their support.
wow that poster really got to me 😭 #11DaysCancerFree— anna croft (@anna_croft) April 28, 2014
Awesome sign at the Moda Center! #11daysCancerFree— Cole Gannett (@ColeGannett) April 28, 2014
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Would you rather get married earlier, or stay...
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with...
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews nearly...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing your...
- Where to see dinosaurs in Utah
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Basic assumptions... 34
- How to eat on just $4 a day 16
- Here's what you can do to protect your... 14
- Hey moms: Your neighbor's religion... 11
- Pediatricians' Rx for schools: Later... 5
- Parenting advice that changed my life 4
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews... 4