If anyone thought rugby star Paul Lasike would be a bit rusty after participating in BYU football's spring camp, he certainly proved them wrong in BYU's 60-0 rout of No. 5 Navy on Saturday. He clearly fits right in with the Cougars' dominant rugby squad.
Just check out this play. Everything about it is incredible.
First, you have a difficult behind-the-back pass from Jonathan Linehan to Joseph Nicholls. That pass alone was good enough to make the highlight reel. Nicholls followed it up with an impressive one-handed pass of his own to Lasike.
Lasike did the rest.
An unfortunate Navy defender tried to tackle Lasike high. Lasike literally shrugged that poor defender off.
Lasike didn't even need to stiff-arm the guy. He shrugged his mighty shoulders and the next moment the Navy defender was rolling on the turf while Lasike ran in for the try.
He didn't even slow down.
California better have payed attention to what Lasike and his teammates can do. The Golden Bears and the Cougars face off for the Varsity Cup on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium. That should be an excellent game given what we saw BYU do against Navy.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25