Utah Valley University got a complete game from Andrew Freter and used a pair of five-run innings en route to a 12-1 win over Northern Colorado on Sunday at Brent Brown Ballpark. The game, which is the Wolverines' (19-22, 11-7) fifth straight win and completes a three-game series sweep, ended in seven innings due to the Western Athletics Conference's 10-run rule.
Freter allowed just three hits while striking out a pair of hitters to pick up his first career complete game. Riley White had three of UVU's 12 hits on the afternoon with White and Seth Rhineer driving in two runs each.
"I thought we came out focused and ready and today was a nice team win," head coach Eric Madsen said. "We had good balance throughout the lineup and Freter did a great job on the mound."
The Wolverines scored twice in the second, one on an RBI double from Craig Brinkerhoff, and led 2-1 entering the bottom of the fourth when they broke the game open with five runs.
In the fourth, Utah Valley sent 10 hitters to the plate and had four hits, getting RBIs singles from White and Rhineer. Zach Slesk had an RBI, drawing a bases-loaded walk, with Cam Zollinger also driving in a run on a fielder's choice.
The Wolverines scored five again in the sixth in a six-hit inning. Jordy Hart and Rhineer had back-to-back RBI singles to begin the scoring. Sean Moysh drove in a run with a sacrifice fly, and Mark Krueger followed him with a run-scoring double. White then capped the offensive output with his second RBI on a base hit to center.
Utah Valley now plays its final non-conference home game of the season Tuesday at 6 p.m., against in-state rival BYU. The Wolverines then avel to New Mexico State for a three-game WAC series beginning Friday before a non-conference contest at New Mexico on Monday, May 5.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating 'love...
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0