BYU men's volleyball team awarded No. 2 seed, bye for NCAA championships
PROVO — For the second year in a row, the BYU men's volleyball team will enter the NCAA tournament as one of the favorites to win it all.
Officials announced Sunday that BYU will be the No. 2 seed in the six-team NCAA championships that begin Tuesday in Chicago at Gentile Arena. The Cougars (22-8) will receive a bye for the first round and square off against the winner of No. 3 seed Stanford (22-8) and No. 6 seed Erskine (21-6) Thursday at 9 p.m. MDT.
The Cougars have faced the Cardinal three times this season, winning all three matches, including Saturday's straight-set win in the MPSF conference championship game. BYU has not played Erskine (Due West, South Carolina), which received an automatic bid by winning the Conference Carolinas championship.
Loyola University Chicago (27-1) secured the No. 1 seed and will host the tournament. The Cougars opened their season against the Ramblers and lost in straight sets back on Jan. 3. Loyola will play the winner of No. 4 seed Lewis (23-7) and No. 5 seed Penn State (24-6.)
The semifinal matches will be streamed on NCAA.com, with ESPNU broadcasting the final match Saturday at 6 p.m. MDT.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31