BYU men's volleyball team awarded No. 2 seed, bye for NCAA championships
PROVO — For the second year in a row, the BYU men's volleyball team will enter the NCAA tournament as one of the favorites to win it all.
Officials announced Sunday that BYU will be the No. 2 seed in the six-team NCAA championships that begin Tuesday in Chicago at Gentile Arena. The Cougars (22-8) will receive a bye for the first round and square off against the winner of No. 3 seed Stanford (22-8) and No. 6 seed Erskine (21-6) Thursday at 9 p.m. MDT.
The Cougars have faced the Cardinal three times this season, winning all three matches, including Saturday's straight-set win in the MPSF conference championship game. BYU has not played Erskine (Due West, South Carolina), which received an automatic bid by winning the Conference Carolinas championship.
Loyola University Chicago (27-1) secured the No. 1 seed and will host the tournament. The Cougars opened their season against the Ramblers and lost in straight sets back on Jan. 3. Loyola will play the winner of No. 4 seed Lewis (23-7) and No. 5 seed Penn State (24-6.)
The semifinal matches will be streamed on NCAA.com, with ESPNU broadcasting the final match Saturday at 6 p.m. MDT.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 117
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 34
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21