BYU men's volleyball team awarded No. 2 seed, bye for NCAA championships
PROVO — For the second year in a row, the BYU men's volleyball team will enter the NCAA tournament as one of the favorites to win it all.
Officials announced Sunday that BYU will be the No. 2 seed in the six-team NCAA championships that begin Tuesday in Chicago at Gentile Arena. The Cougars (22-8) will receive a bye for the first round and square off against the winner of No. 3 seed Stanford (22-8) and No. 6 seed Erskine (21-6) Thursday at 9 p.m. MDT.
The Cougars have faced the Cardinal three times this season, winning all three matches, including Saturday's straight-set win in the MPSF conference championship game. BYU has not played Erskine (Due West, South Carolina), which received an automatic bid by winning the Conference Carolinas championship.
Loyola University Chicago (27-1) secured the No. 1 seed and will host the tournament. The Cougars opened their season against the Ramblers and lost in straight sets back on Jan. 3. Loyola will play the winner of No. 4 seed Lewis (23-7) and No. 5 seed Penn State (24-6.)
The semifinal matches will be streamed on NCAA.com, with ESPNU broadcasting the final match Saturday at 6 p.m. MDT.
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- National Signing Day: List of where Utah...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 76
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 75
- After slow start, Runnin' Utes sprint... 49
- Utes receive commitment from Florida LB... 42
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32