UVU golf: Wolverines remain in seventh after day two at WAC Championships
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
The Utah Valley University women's golf team remains in seventh place after 36 holes of play at the 2014 WAC Championships. Junior Brooke Whittaker led the Wolverines on the day by carding 12-over-par, while redshirt freshman Kimberly Nyhus is pacing UVU as she enters Sunday's final round tied for 25th place.
As a team, UVU combined to shoot a 357 on Saturday in tough windy conditions at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz. The Wolverines sit in seventh place at 115-over-par (691) but just two strokes back of sixth-place Texas-Pan American (689). Idaho leads the tournament at 45-over-par, while New Mexico State is in second (+49), Kansas City third (+77), Seattle U fourth (+87), Chicago State fifth (+98) and Bakersfield rounds out the field at 147-over-par.
After shooting a 92 during Friday's opening round, Whitaker responded nicely for UVU on Saturday by tallying a 12-over-84. Whittaker recorded a pair of birdies on the day en route to her 84. The junior enters Sunday's third and final round tied for 34th place after moving up eight spots Saturday (176).
Nyhus is Utah Valley's leader after two rounds of play as she is currently tied for 25th place at 28-over-par. The Wolverine redshirt freshman posted a 16-over-88 on Saturday to go along with an 84 on Friday (172).
Junior Heather Mathison is next for Utah Valley as she's tied for 29th at 31-over-par. Mathison recorded a 91 on Saturday as well as an 84 on Friday (175).
After leading the way for the Wolverines on Friday with an 83, freshman Monica Yeates dropped into a tie for 34th place after carding a 93 on Saturday (176). Junior Hannah Herman rounds out UVU's field of five as she sits in a tie for 38th place at 33-over-par (177).
Two Idaho Vandals lead the tournament at 8-over-par — Leilanie Kim and Cassie McKinley — while NM State's Viviana Macias sits just three shots back at 11-over-par.
Sunday's final round begins at 7 a.m., at the Longbow Golf Club, and live scoring is available by visiting GolfStat.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14