On Tuesday night, the Associated Students of the University of Utah voted to send a resolution to the University of Utah president supporting changes to the Utah Fight Song, apparently succumbing to the "politically correct" philosophy, "If it offends someone, anyone, change it, tear it down, or destroy it."
I agree wholeheartedly with Amy Donaldson, sports writer for the Deseret News; "Altering 'Utah Man' lyrics is not an option."
If the song offends you, you have two options: 1) Don't sing it, or 2) as Amy says, "Write a new one." The song wasn't written to offend anyone but to inspire Utah athletic teams and fans to achieve greatness, and it has done so for over 100 years. Please don't mess with it!
Elmer C. Newman
- In our opinion: Tragedy in Aleppo should...
- My view: Waste, fraud in education hammering...
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the bathroom
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics and...
- Letter: Where's the action?
- Letter: BYU in a conference?
- Jay Evensen: Utah's election is clear as mud
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 73
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 43
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 23
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20
- Letter: Where's the action? 17