On Tuesday night, the Associated Students of the University of Utah voted to send a resolution to the University of Utah president supporting changes to the Utah Fight Song, apparently succumbing to the "politically correct" philosophy, "If it offends someone, anyone, change it, tear it down, or destroy it."
I agree wholeheartedly with Amy Donaldson, sports writer for the Deseret News; "Altering 'Utah Man' lyrics is not an option."
If the song offends you, you have two options: 1) Don't sing it, or 2) as Amy says, "Write a new one." The song wasn't written to offend anyone but to inspire Utah athletic teams and fans to achieve greatness, and it has done so for over 100 years. Please don't mess with it!
Elmer C. Newman
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our year-end...
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- About Utah: Jen Seelig came to Utah and made...
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- Drew Clark: Ebola, cybersecurity and...
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 38
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 31
- Letter: Distance from religion 31
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 20
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices... 13