On Tuesday night, the Associated Students of the University of Utah voted to send a resolution to the University of Utah president supporting changes to the Utah Fight Song, apparently succumbing to the "politically correct" philosophy, "If it offends someone, anyone, change it, tear it down, or destroy it."
I agree wholeheartedly with Amy Donaldson, sports writer for the Deseret News; "Altering 'Utah Man' lyrics is not an option."
If the song offends you, you have two options: 1) Don't sing it, or 2) as Amy says, "Write a new one." The song wasn't written to offend anyone but to inspire Utah athletic teams and fans to achieve greatness, and it has done so for over 100 years. Please don't mess with it!
Elmer C. Newman
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 95
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- In our opinion: On Holder's heels... 34